Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD drive problem

Options
  • 21-06-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭

The DVD drive on my PC only reads some discs.The majority of the time it wont read at all.What could be the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

My guess would be the drive is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

The PC is only 2 years old and the drive was rarely used.Can't be ware and tear then I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What brand of DVD Drive is it? And yes this signs is common for a failing one

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

berliner wrote: »
    The PC is only 2 years old and the drive was rarely used.Can't be ware and tear then I think.
    Could be just unlucky with a defective drive.

yoyo wrote: »
    What brand of DVD Drive is it? And yes this signs is common for a failing one

Nick
    Packard Bell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

Is it making any abnormal noise?Is it ejecting discs it can't read?

conceited wrote: »
    Is it making any abnormal noise?Is it ejecting discs it can't read?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Possible that the lens is dirty even with little use, as a last resort try a lens cleaning disk (can't get any worse now can it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Try a disc drive cleaner and ensure your discs aint scratched too badly or covered in jam. If your disc's are too badly damaged try a disc doctor to repair them.

cock robin wrote: »
    Try a disc drive cleaner and ensure your discs aint scratched too badly or covered in jam. If your disc's are too badly damaged try a disc doctor to repair them.
    The discs are okay because i tried them in a friends PC. I don't understand why it plays some discs and not others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What is the model number of the drive and what type of disks are you trying to play? DVD-R, DVD +R or ± RW, DVD-Video (copied DVDs etc) might be that the drive can only read certain types. Being two years old though I would believe it should be able to read most disk types.

To get the DVD model number => right click my computer> manage > click on device manager in left pane then expand the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive device list and it should show you what model it is. Sorry if you knew how to do that!

MC

What is the model number of the drive and what type of disks are you trying to play? DVD-R, DVD +R or ± RW, DVD-Video (copied DVDs etc) might be that the drive can only read certain types. Being two years old though I would believe it should be able to read most disk types.

To get the DVD model number => right click my computer> manage > click on device manager in left pane then expand the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive device list and it should show you what model it is. Sorry if you knew how to do that!

MC
    Thanks for replying.The model number is HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4164B. Hope you can tell me why it's not reading right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Disc Format can have a lot to do with it. For instance if the disc were DVD+R instead of DVD-R or even DVD+/-R.

edit: snap.

Advertisement