Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 month old Samsung HD clicking

Options
  • 21-06-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

As per the title, I've a 6 month old PC with a Samsung HD in it that has started to make a noise every 5 seconds or so.

I've backed everything up as I fear the inevitable, but is there anything I can do to save it? I can't find any kind of utility on the Samsung website. I've turned SMART on in the BIOS and it doesn't appear to be reporting anything. Checkdisk won't complete.

Is my HD buggered? :(

Edit: the utility was second hit on Google. FFS, I spend 1 hour searching the manufacturers website and get nothing, I spend 2 seconds on Google and it brings me straight to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    As per the title, I've a 6 month old PC with a Samsung HD in it that has started to make a noise every 5 seconds or so.

I've backed everything up as I fear the inevitable, but is there anything I can do to save it? I can't find any kind of utility on the Samsung website. I've turned SMART on in the BIOS and it doesn't appear to be reporting anything. Checkdisk won't complete.

Edit: the utility was second hit on Google. FFS, I spend 1 hour searching the manufacturers website and get nothing, I spend 2 seconds on Google and it brings me straight to it.

If it is constantly clicking, then it is on the way out.

Time to get a replacement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I hate when that happens. As said above, it sounds like it's fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I concur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

You could give Spinrite a shot, http://www.grc.com/intro.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh the joy I am having.

It's a Meida center PC, as I said, only six months old.

Initially, I had trouble booting from the CD (HD was set to boot first), so I pressed F12 to get into the boot menu. Couldn't go any further, because it stopped responding to my wireless keyboard. Tried it several times, it just doesn't like the keyboard for some reason (even though the BIOS allows me to press F12).

Downloaded the Samsung utility, it makes a CD that you have to boot into DOS to run. Can I hell get into DOS using my wireless keyboard? No.

Downloaded Universal Boot CD. It boots up fine, but asks you to press enter to boot from the CD. Can I press enter with my wireless keyboard? No.

Very f**king frustrating. I now have to source a wired keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Back up quick as soon as you hear the "click of death"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Tom, I had a similar problem with the wireless keyboard yesterday when I was running Ultimate Boot CD and after hopping my keyboard around the room for a while I remembered I had one of those purple USB to Serial/PS2 connections for a keyboard. Once I connected using that I was able to boot Ultimate Boot CD.

Advertisement