Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar Alarms

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

A neighbor has gone away for 2 weeks and his fuping alarm keeps going off and no they didn't leave a key with anyone,one of those eircom phonewatch alarms too,isn't there a law that says the alarm has to deactivate after X amount of time?

/rant over

Any creative suggestions are welcome to solve my problem,bear in mind these things have backup internal batteries so cutting the power will do nothing :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Grenades/rocket launcher/other explosive device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

if its one of the eircom ones could you get onto eircom and get them to contact one of the emergency key holders(like your one does on the ad!) and they could come over and shut the bloody thing off for you.
    those wailing alarms are incredibly annoying

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sam34 wrote: »

Yeah they should make them silent. Same with fire alarms, I don't want that stupid fire alarm waking me up in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

sam34 wrote: »
    if its one of the eircom ones could you get onto eircom and get them to contact one of the emergency key holders(like your one does on the ad!) and they could come over and shut the bloody thing off for you.

Already did and none of the keyholders are answering :mad: yet someone in eircom in their infinite wisdom sent the guards around anyway :confused: 4 times they've been out they tried getting in themselves to shut it off but there not allowed kick the door in,anyone in kildare have an rpg with 1 or 2 rounds I could borrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Yeah they should make them silent. Same with fire alarms, I don't want that stupid fire alarm waking me up in the middle of the night.

ok, i re-read my post and realised how it looks/sounds!what i meant was those CONSTANTLY wailing ones that are neglected by people and go on and on for hours :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A good step ladder and a lump hammer. Always works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

+ 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yeah id say you would be forgiven for busting it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

+1

If i had of got to B&Q earlier today i would of had a brand new 6.1m step ladder to lend you (had them on special @ €68), but they were all sold out :mad:

The external bell should time out after 30 minutes, but depending on the installer they might not of set any time out! That would piss me off no end living next door to that....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

See if you can unscrew it and disconnect/cut wires to siren.

Plan B: Cover the whole thing in quick-dry cement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

biko wrote: »
    Plan B: Cover the whole thing in quick-dry cement.

Maybe Expanding foam??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, if you can find a can with a small nozzle. Good call!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Listen to this...

Silence!Another neighbor went up and disconnected the speaker :D and I printed out my first post and got him to put it in the box g'night lads oh and if your reading this number 2 set a timer ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Already did and none of the keyholders are answering :mad: yet someone in eircom in their infinite wisdom sent the guards around anyway :confused: 4 times they've been out they tried getting in themselves to shut it off but there not allowed kick the door in,anyone in kildare have an rpg with 1 or 2 rounds I could borrow?

And no doubt someone in the another location in the same area in Kildare is ranting about calling the Gardai for a problem they have with (insert any reason here)and giving out because the Gardai haven't yet arrived.'Gardai are lazy,wasters,sitting on fat ... in the station,etc.etc etc' Don't you know they are attending an alarm call because some people don't give a ......about their neighbours and have no problem wasting Garda time that could be better spent dealing with real problems.
    Once the Gardai can verify that there is no intruder,Phonewatch should be legally obliged to send an engineer to turn the alarm off and not be able to wash their hands of responsibility as they seem to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah they should make them silent.
    Hell yeah.
    Don't we yet have the technology to move the loud part of the alarm from the house/car to the owners keyring?

Most of the time these things are set off by a gust of wind or some crap.

Sometimes I hope these annoying alarm people are actually having their car or house robbed... dirty bastards.
    Why do they have to annoy the whole neighbourhood with their faulty alarm systems?

I vote 'yes' to heavy sack beatings for problem alarm offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Silence!Another neighbor went up and disconnected the speaker :D

Your disconnecting neighbour = legend.

Does he do house calls? Some of my neighbours have annoying alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Break in , that will p**s them off.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭KINGofHEARTS

A neighbor has gone away for 2 weeks and his fuping alarm keeps going off and no they didn't leave a key with anyone,one of those eircom phonewatch alarms too,isn't there a law that says the alarm has to deactivate after X amount of time?

/rant over

Any creative suggestions are welcome to solve my problem,bear in mind these things have backup internal batteries so cutting the power will do nothing :mad:

Easily fixed problem mate, If you climb up to the alarm box on a ladder or something there is a little button on the side of the box that stops the alarm from ringing on the outside but will continue on the inside

Spent my apprenticeship installing alarms

Advertisement