Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog off its lead

Options
  • 20-06-2008 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

On my road there is a family who have a dog (mix breed) which is allowed to roam free do what ever its likes really,i am aware that it is illegal but i was wondering how much is this law enforced?

laura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I don't think there is a law to keep them in unless they are a restricted breed? I know down the road from me there are 5 large, aggressive dogs loose which makes life difficult when I need to walk my own dogs. some "owners" are such idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭XxlauraxX

i no its very annoying when i am walking my own dog ,and i have heard people say he has bitten people aswell:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

XxlauraxX wrote: »
    i no its very annoying when i am walking my own dog ,and i have heard people say he has bitten people aswell:mad::mad:

I think if there's any truth in that (and I doubt there is) its days would have been severely numbered.

But apart from that, what kind of dog is it and where are you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It is illegal to leave your dog roaming unsupervised. You are allowed to have your dog off the lead when you are with it as long as you have effective control over it.

However, how well the law is enforced does depend very much on the area. Some dogs are known to the local warden also and they more or less turn a blind eye unless something happens. If the dog has bitten or is making you feel threatened then you should report it to the warden and they will be obliged to do something about it.

Mairt wrote: »
    I think if there's any truth in that (and I doubt there is) its days would have been severely numbered.

But apart from that, what kind of dog is it and where are you?.

well im not entirely sure if it is or not ! but i suppose you would need proof (MAYBE) its a mix breed and i dont think where i live is any relevance

• Advertisement

well im not entirely sure if it is or not ! but i suppose you would need proof (MAYBE) its a mix breed and i dont think where i live is any relevance

Well it seem's as though there's different law's pertaining to certain breeds depending on where your living.

And a 'mix breed' of what?. A Staff & EBT or a Lab/Collie, alot of people might see a difference.

there is definitely a terrier of some sort what else im not sure:confused::confused:

there is definitely a terrier of some sort what else im not sure:confused::confused:

I'm losing interest fast.

**late edit, sorry that sounded a bit mean.

But a little more information would be great as some people here are well up on local by-laws etc and that information might help them help you.

im not thinking of taking action i was just wondering if anyone has ever reported a dog and gotten anywhere with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

If it bothers you report it to the dog warden,if you have heard it has biten (im sure there must be some truth there otherwise why would it have been mentioned) then do you and other people a favour and report the dog. Infact do the dog a favour and report it because clearly its owner dont give a flying hoot about it otherwise they wouldnt allow it to roam and be knocked down or taken to a pound.

In other words,make a simple phone call to your local warden and....... Report it lol

*sorry about that,rant over*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mmm, I wouldn't report the dog because I've heard a rumour that it's bitten someone.

It's very easy for a rumour to go from "Disgraceful, that dog will bite someone some day" to "Disgraceful, I've heard he's a dangerous biting dog" to "Disgraceful, that dangerous biting dog has bitten people".

How does it annoy you and your dog when you're walking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

luckat wrote: »
    Mmm, I wouldn't report the dog because I've heard a rumour that it's bitten someone.

It's very easy for a rumour to go from "Disgraceful, that dog will bite someone some day" to "Disgraceful, I've heard he's a dangerous biting dog" to "Disgraceful, that dangerous biting dog has bitten people".

How does it annoy you and your dog when you're walking?

On reflection perhaps not but still in my own opinion she should report the dog or if she knows were its owner are living consult them about it if its giving her hassle while walking her own dog.

luckat wrote: »

Neither would I.

It recently came to light where I live that a neighbour reported an attack by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier on his family simply on the grounds that he is afraid of dogs, and mistakingly thought the Staffie was a Pitbull.

The dog was taken from its owner and killed at Ashtown pound.

I'm still wondering what the significance is regarding this dog in this thread being a ''mixed breed'', is it suppose to mean something?.

Mairt wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what the significance is regarding this dog in this thread being a ''mixed breed'', is it suppose to mean something?.

nothing at all :Di was just giving you some information that's all:)

Advertisement