Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Boot Problem

Options
  • 20-06-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

OK, stupid I know, but was cleaning up a friends Dell 4550. The boot sequence included an option to choose one of two boot options - both from XP. Thought I would speed things up if I choose to change boot to only one option. The wrong one. It appears that this boot option was disabled or something. Anyway I'm now informed that there is no operating system. Is there any way I can get back to the correct one at least temporarily as I want to recover some files. After that I will be doing a fresh re-installation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Linux live cd or a rescue cd should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Boot form the xp disk and enter the recovery console, type fixmbr at the prompt and all should be well

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

how did you change it to 1 option, that involves manually editing the boot.ini which is read only

if you just changed the prompt time to 0 seconds, tap f8 a few times after the bios screen, when the menu pops up, choose start windows normally, and then on the next screen, choose the 1st xp installation, if not just reboot do same but choose second option

having said that, since xp was installed twice, i'd recon a backup and full format then re-install would do it the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Got permission and decided to go straight to re-installation and forget files. Worked fine. Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement