Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hit taken

Options
  • 20-06-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

now before anyone goes hitting the report Gatling button again just came across this vid on airsoftnews.eu ,
    id love to see this being used on sites ,dont you just love technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBM-kRoGnK0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Might see use in competitions but other than that it's a bit pointless to be honest, what happens if someone get's hit in the arm? or the leg? or the side? Those panels cant detect a hit across the entire body. Even worse, what if your walking through a forest and a branch snaps back and hits you? Does that count as a hit? What if you run up to cover behind a building and drop back against the wall? Does it register a hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Thats great, now not only do certain hits count, but I get to die every time I roll, hit a wall going into cover, a branch hits my sensor, my gear hits my sensor, my slung rifle hits my sensor....

The honor system isn't perfect, but its better than that :D

Now, report gatling... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

I'd say with this stuff you could take it to the next step. I mean domestic leagues and international tournaments like Airsoft European Championships and World Championships...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

It's an interesting idea, but I can see all sorts of mistakes happening, with the sensors getting knocked off stuff.

To be honest I like the honour system, sure it's not perfect, but I get a sense of satisfaction from knowing that I played a game with honour, especially on the rare occasions when those I've been playing against have appeared less honourable.

Besides, if I see someone cheating I'll remember it, so in the long run cheaters are doing themselves no favours, why ruin your reputation as a gamer for the sake of one measly hit in one little game? games are won and lost all the time, but your reputation is forever...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I can people like Dex and keith building landmines out of bluetooth enabled nokia's.

I can see the reasons for this and as Keith said for tournaments and games giving out prizes it would be good but I personally don't like them.

If I wanted to play laser tag thats what I would be buying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

Well said Spetz, as for the system well it realy could do with some arm sensors or ya might aswell be using the honour system anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

and ya cant wear a vest with that thing on,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

you wouldn't need one because it appears its designed for speedball style games and not skirmishing so you wouldn't need to have as much gear on you as you would normally.

its a bit cheesy with the mario-coin-jingle everytime your hit.

Other points already mentioned too, not a full body system and potential for miss reading although there is a shot of a guy doing a roll and it appears that he killed the guy in the window so it might be programed to register the impact area/force or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

That looks both cool and expensive :)

Then wed have a whole new generation of hit problems. Tale onein the shin "Well it didnt tell me to regen so fu(k it"

Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Comon, we aren't paintballers. Hive is right, this is airsoft, not laser tag. Also, I bet it would probably feck up as much as Qzar does(Half the gear doesnt register hits). Also, if you face your shoulder towards the enemy, hold your AEG in front of your face then they have very little chance of hitting you. Never gonna take off here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Gotta say as fun and all as it would be to use em they look like sh1t in my opinion and all the comments about other places where you can be hit and such.
    Not exactly practical and the led lights and that fecking noise would do my tits in and I would have it broken in an hour:p either that or I would just turn it off

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Necron99

Ric-O'Chet shots wouldn't be very happy about this :pac:

Evolute wrote: »
    Gotta say as fun and all as it would be to use em they look like sh1t in my opinion and all the comments about other places where you can be hit and such.
    Not exactly practical and the led lights and that fecking noise would do my tits in and I would have it broken in an hour:p either that or I would just turn it off

Now that would be funny. Turn it off and you sever the link between battery and motor. Charge......click, "oh ****".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I thought it was good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Real Steyr Dave

slightly off topic, [please don't hit he report buton!] and perhaps last year's old news.... but i think the American military has developed an experimental combat suit which analyses the severity of impacts by gathering data from a full body "skin"... The idea isn't to be bulletproof, but to help medics determine how banged up a guy is and how critical he is. in addition I think it seals the wound with a sort of foam until medevac get to him.

Well, that's what my lecturer in military history is telling me anyway..... :p

oh, and as regards the system for airsoft... the voice guidance" and flashing LEDs would drive me spare after five minutes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

OK, so we are agreed that there are some MAJR drawbacks that make it unworkable.

But what are the positives? Which bits are acceptable enough that we could take the idea and say "Ok, but what if we ..." and maybe suggest an alternative or more useful application of the same technology (or even a way to implement it properly).

I am very drunk so I will cut this post short here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

slightly off topic, [please don't hit he report buton!] and perhaps last year's old news.... but i think the American military has developed an experimental combat suit which analyses the severity of impacts by gathering data from a full body "skin"... The idea isn't to be bulletproof, but to help medics determine how banged up a guy is and how critical he is. in addition I think it seals the wound with a sort of foam until medevac get to him.

Well, that's what my lecturer in military history is telling me anyway..... :p

oh, and as regards the system for airsoft... the voice guidance" and flashing LEDs would drive me spare after five minutes.....

And the best part is that said suit system will end up being so expensive that no combat troop (god help him) will ever see it.

Just like dragon skin. IT CAN WITHSTAND A GRENADE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! PUT IT ON YOUR TROOPS!!.......Oh wait....no, it costs nearly $4000 a vest......sorry boys, use yer ceramic plates instead :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Games in urban areas where only hits to the chest/head are counted would be fine. And that's what they show in the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

your right Rabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I don't think they would be, how many times have you spotted a target taking cover in a window or door who has accidentally exposed a shoulder or part of a leg and opened up on that? Or people taking cover behind vehicles, the majority of people who spot someone taking cover behind a vehicle will try to take a shot at their ankles under the vehicle before trying the riskier frontal approach.
    Someone also mentioned that hits from the side wouldn't count, so sneaking to the blind side of a fire position is no longer an advantage.
    I also wonder who sensitive they would be to strikes from the periphery of range. If your smg is only capable of firing 30 yards and you hit your target at 29 or 31 yards, would there be enough energy left to register on the vest? How sensitive are they to shock load?

The system would cost a fortune too. I'm not sure how they made them, but my initial reaction would be that the vests are filled with quantam tunnelling compound to give the reading, and that stuff ain't exactly cheap these days.

On the plus side, I rather like those helmets. Not that they talk or flash, but that they seem to have an integrated ballistic lens and face mask. Reckon they could solve some peoples qualms about using mesh masks or full face if they released them as a standalone unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I imagine the helmet could have the fogging problems of goggles, if not worse with your mouth and nose covered.

But if there was an integrated fan as in some goggles, it could be a very good design.

TBH I don't ever see this working, as a concept, the human brain can calculate all the variables mentioned and give a reasonably accurate decision whether a hit was a branch or bb.
    Any computer or impact sensitive skin capable of doing that reasonably well will cost a fortune.

Even American simunition training is based on the honor system right?

That and its incredibly painful.

NakedDex wrote: »
    I don't think they would be, how many times have you spotted a target taking cover in a window or door who has accidentally exposed a shoulder or part of a leg and opened up on that? Or people taking cover behind vehicles, the majority of people who spot someone taking cover behind a vehicle will try to take a shot at their ankles under the vehicle before trying the riskier frontal approach.
    Someone also mentioned that hits from the side wouldn't count, so sneaking to the blind side of a fire position is no longer an advantage.
    I also wonder who sensitive they would be to strikes from the periphery of range. If your smg is only capable of firing 30 yards and you hit your target at 29 or 31 yards, would there be enough energy left to register on the vest? How sensitive are they to shock load?

The system would cost a fortune too. I'm not sure how they made them, but my initial reaction would be that the vests are filled with quantam tunnelling compound to give the reading, and that stuff ain't exactly cheap these days.

On the plus side, I rather like those helmets. Not that they talk or flash, but that they seem to have an integrated ballistic lens and face mask. Reckon they could solve some peoples qualms about using mesh masks or full face if they released them as a standalone unit.
    Again I say, it sounds alot like Q-Zar!

About the sensitivity, supposedy that can be set. BUT that would mean that you'd want all the guns shooting a very similar fps. If you take a long shot, say the bb is traveling 180fps at that stage and its set to register that. Well then, what happens if sombody opens up at a wall a few feet away? ricochets would probably kill.

All in all, the whole idea is bull, its always gonna be to dear to have a marking system that cover head to toe.well, maybe not in 30 years...

Advertisement