Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claw clipping

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Im distraught. I have to get my dog sedated to get her claw's done. She gets into such a state that the vet has suggested her going to sleep to get them done. I know it sounds extreme but she really wont tolerate getting them clipped. Does anyone know of any homeopathic remedies that I could use to calm her down. She is a tiny little thing and there would be a rist she might not come out of it. HELP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. You need to train her so she's used to having her paws handled, which shouldn't be hard, especially if she's a lapdog.

Sit down and offer her a treat, and stroke her, finishing at the paws.

Offer her another (these treats should be small, so she doesn't fill up too fast), and repeat.

Keep at it, and gradually move the time she gets the treat from the beginning of the stroke to the end, so she's used to the idea:

PAWS BEING TOUCHED = TREAT!!!

Now do this in different places around the house, and in the garden, and on walks, and in other houses, and with other people doing it, so the behaviour is generalised.

If she's freaky about going to the vet, maybe the vet might come to your house to do it, just this once?

By the way, if her nails are long, perhaps she isn't getting enough street walks? Sometimes nails can grow if they don't have streets wearing them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

I agree with everything above that luckat has said,also if its a thing that you used to clip her nails then I would suggest running the nail clippers over her feet as to make her realise its not an object to fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oranjeboom

The vet did come to the house and I have been trying for the last year to get her to allow me to touch her paws. Its a no go. Ive tried everything. The Vet came on Wednesday night and she got so bad she lost control of her bladder and bowel and threw up. The Vet had to stop because he thought she was going to pass out. Is there any natural alternative to sedation?

Jaysus!! Didnt realise it was that bad. Poor thing. I dont no about natural alternatives but im sure there is someone that will know!

KhuntChops wrote: »
    Jaysus!! Didnt realise it was that bad. Poor thing. I dont no about natural alternatives but im sure there is someone that will know!

Ya I know. People dont realise how bad she us until they see it. And bless she wriggled for Ireland scratched me, my dad and the vet but didn't bite once not even snarled. She was so upset for the night. I felt so bad.

• Advertisement

oranjeboom wrote: »
    Ya I know. People dont realise how bad she us until they see it. And bless she wriggled for Ireland scratched me, my dad and the vet but didn't bite once not even snarled. She was so upset for the night. I felt so bad.

I can only imagine,was she always like that when it came to nail clipping? She sounds really sweet god bless her.

I can only imagine,was she always like that when it came to nail clipping? She sounds really sweet god bless her.

Ya I have two dogs the other one has no problem at all you can do what you like when you like. When the other one is getting things done and is getting distressed she barks like mad. They were litter mates and have never been apart. The thing is now when I bring the highly strung one to the Vet I have to bring the quieter one too cos they go mad with out each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭julesrtc

By the way, if her nails are long, perhaps she isn't getting enough street walks? Sometimes nails can grow if they don't have streets wearing them down.

This is true, i never get my dog's nails clipped as vet says he doesnt need it, the paths on the walks do it naturally!!! And playing ball in the back yard etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

You could try rescue remedy or tortue rouge crisis drops.

http://www.tortuerouge.co.uk/crisis-d--212.html

Meant to say have you asked your vet about natural alternative to sedation?

• Advertisement

julesrtc wrote: »

This is true, i never get my dog's nails clipped as vet says he doesnt need it, the paths on the walks do it naturally!!! And playing ball in the back yard etc etc..

No her claws just grow quicker the other one is fine and doesn't need hers clipped as much.
    Meant to say have you asked your vet about natural alternative to sedation?

I have and he said he doesn't know anything about alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I wouldn't go fecking around with alternatives. The vet knows what's safe for your dog's size and weight. You don't know that in the case of natural alternatives.

By the way, when I was talking about training, I meant do it over a week or so.

When she's had her nails clipped this time, maybe you could start this training anyway - it's for her own good, as she's going to need to see the vet for all kinds of reasons during her life.

Poor little mutt.

luckat wrote: »
    I wouldn't go fecking around with alternatives. The vet knows what's safe for your dog's size and weight. You don't know that in the case of natural alternatives.

By the way, when I was talking about training, I meant do it over a week or so.

When she's had her nails clipped this time, maybe you could start this training anyway - it's for her own good, as she's going to need to see the vet for all kinds of reasons during her life.

Poor little mutt.

Maybe your right. As regard the training Ive been trying for ages. BUT when she has them done this time I might start again and someone suggested a file.

She is not a mutt. She is my baby :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Ask your vet what he would use to sedate the dog. I would be loath to use a drug like ACP or any that just immobilise them. With some of these drugs the dog is somewhat aware of what is happening, just can't react. Where a dog is intensly afraid of something using a drug like that will make it 100 times worse in the future, meaning higher and higher doses of the drug are necessary to achieve the same result. If he has an alternative that will mean she is not at all aware then fine.

I would try what Luckat is suggesting, but start with the tiniest of touch and a treat. Have you ever heard of clicker training? This is the sort of case that clicker training can really help http://www.clickertraining.com/

You say you have been trying for a year, what method have you been using? Just could help to give us an idea of what you have tried.

Ask your vet what he would use to sedate the dog. I would be loath to use a drug like ACP or any that just immobilise them. With some of these drugs the dog is somewhat aware of what is happening, just can't react. Where a dog is intensly afraid of something using a drug like that will make it 100 times worse in the future, meaning higher and higher doses of the drug are necessary to achieve the same result. If he has an alternative that will mean she is not at all aware then fine.

I would try what Luckat is suggesting, but start with the tiniest of touch and a treat. Have you ever heard of clicker training? This is the sort of case that clicker training can really help http://www.clickertraining.com/

You say you have been trying for a year, what method have you been using? Just could help to give us an idea of what you have tried.

Well the vet suggesting I just get her used to me touching her paws. Lifting her up and holding them for a bit, then when she is sitting relaxed play with her paws. I have tried to do that. If she allows me to hold her paws for a few mins I give her a little treat. When she lets me play with her paws I give her a little treat. Ive tried just rubbing the claw with my finget so to get her used to me touching them.

Im open for suggestions of all kinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭fits

Very true.

My dog has uneven wear on his nails too (after breaking a leg), so I can understand how you need to to this. I think this is something you are going to need to work on on a daily basis... all the time keeping within the dogs comfort zone. It will be a long process of just getting the dog used to your handling his legs moving very slowly down to the paws (and never upsetting him, or you'll take a couple of steps backwards).

Btw a friend of mine files the nails of her dogs frequently with something (an electric implement) rather than clipping them. I cant remember exactly what she uses for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Hello there. Maybe you could carry out sedation once
    just to get the job done, and then try to control the
    growth with regular lengthy walks on rough ground?
    Regular sedation can't be good for any dog. I would
    train her to 'give the paw', and delay the reward
    gradually (i.e. holding the paw longer and longer before
    rewarding her) so that at the end of a couple of weeks
    she would happily hand it to you and let you move
    the toes etc. I'd also train to first take hold of, and
    later pick up the back legs (backwards). If you work
    slowly up to it and dish out very tasty treats she's likely
    to go for it eventually. It probably makes sense to ask
    everyone in the family and willing strangers to ask for
    'the paw' too. Starting slowly and persisting is the key,
    as with all wily creatures ;)

The anxiety she displays can be influenced positively too.
    Any training you invest in strengthens your relationship
    and your calmness when the deed is being done will have a
    stronger cooling effect on her. Hope you can solve it,
    good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

Why not buy a nail file and file the nails instead of clipping them, it will also make you doggy more used the paws been held and you can introduce the filing method gradually without sedation or stress.

Heres a link http://www.terrificpets.com/pet_supplies/dog/grooming/nail-file/102720.asp

You can also get electric files that are easier and faster to use, but some are noisy and may upset your pooch so maybe a hand file would be a better option.

I have an electric nail file for my dog's a dremenl i i think is the brand and it has different heads to attach etc i got it as once of my females dogs hated getting her nails clipped and is worked a treat since and she loves it now!

Advertisement