Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 20-06-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Being a child of the 56k dial-up years, I never really got the hang of all this broadband malarky. Having moved to Dublin (and brought my fat PC with me) I was hoping to set it up with a wireless broadband connection.

Now, I understand what the craic is with the whole broadband plus router/modem thingummy, which I'm about to order. However, as my computer is quite old on the inside (I've upgraded it quite a bit) I don't know if it has the necessary hardware to receive a wireless signal. I looked around a bit and I think I have to buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SMC-300Mbps-Wireless-Adapter-Certified/dp/B000ZG4M1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213952196&sr=8-2

My question is: Is this the right thing to buy for a 2MB broadband + wireless connection? Is there a faster/better/cheaper version of this product out there? Where should I buy it from?

Hoping that makes sense,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Bump...

I imagine somebody should know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Assuming you'll be connecting wirelessly to the router, that's all you should need. No need to splash out on the so-called 300 Mbps device, however -- it's highly unlikely you'll actually achieve speeds close to this. Something cheaper here, as an example, to do the trick. If you're going with eircom, you're not getting a router that supports the up-and-coming 802.11N standard (it's still in draft anyway).

Advertisement