Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health testing dogs

Options
  • 20-06-2008 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im wondering if someone knows off a site that gives you information on the nessecary health testing of dogs before they are to be mated?

Thanking you in advance,

KC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

What breed are you talking about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Staffordshire Bull Terrier..

Sorry I forgot to state it above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't get it, if someone is planning to breed dogs they should know all this before they even get a dog. A vet would need to do a full health check. I would suggest more research and perhaps checking out wether there is really good homes available for the pups. Do you really need to breed if looking to make money out of breeding properly it's a bad idea pups need proper health checks by the vet also and not to mention vaccinations by the time you have paid for all that there will be little profit. Ie if you plan to give these animals proper veterinary care.

I understand everything thats involved in he breeding of the dogs,the cost,the care etc It has most certainly nothing to do with making money as I no full well there is not money to be made if you take proper care of your pups and dam. I had an idea of what health tests had to be carried out I was just looking for a link to a site (which I found) that could inform me of the proper term name for the tests and were I have to go for them to be preformed. My inital intention for breeding my dogs is so I can keep a pup if not 2 from the litter to show. I WILL NOT breed my dogs unless both pass the tests and as for homing the pups if the dam had more then 2 I have many friends interested in a proper breed staffordshire.

Thank you for your concern perhaps I worded my question wrong but I have found the site I was looking for and have the full details I was after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

Great that you will health screen and warrant. I believe these are the main health concerns for Staffies. Oh what a great breed they are :p

Atopic dermatitis
    Hip and Elbow Dysplasia
    Patellar Luxation
    Hereditary Cataract
    L-2-Hydroxyglutaric Aciduria
    Atopic dermatitis

• Advertisement

Thank you fot that! You no your stuff ;)

Advertisement