Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third World Clothing Collection - fake?

Options
  • 20-06-2008 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭

I recently got one of those stickers in the door for "Third World Clothing Collection". It listed a Company Reg number 202007.

I look up that number of the Companies Registration Office site and saw that the company for that number, National Childrens Day Limited, was dissolved in September 2005.

I emailed the gmail.com address on the sticker to ask them about it. Obviously I don't expect a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I think there was a program on this a while ago, it would appear that a few of these company where selling the cloths at markets in eastern Europe. If the dissolved then i would avoid them

The Fingal recycling center in coolmine has a cloths collection center as well

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭bkeane

At the brothers house in Dundrum - van came in with big sticker for some so called charity but when leaving estate - one fella hopped out of van and pulled sticker off side of van !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's got to the stage where the genuine charities that used to do these collections have stopped now because of all the scam labels out there. If your clothes are in ok condition then most place with bottle banks have clothes banks or drop them to a local charity shop.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's a clothes bank in the Superquinn car park in Blanchardstown. Much better to use that than give stuff away to a bunch of thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Zaph wrote: »
    There's a clothes bank in the Superquinn car park in Blanchardstown. Much better to use that than give stuff away to a bunch of thieves.
    One Saturday evening, after the shops were closed I saw a large family helping themselves to the contents of that clothes bank. The youngest was being held by her legs.

They stopped and waved, all innocent, as I drove by.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    One Saturday evening, after the shops were closed I saw a large family helping themselves to the contents of that clothes bank. The youngest was being held by her legs.

They stopped and waved, all innocent, as I drove by.

You just can't win, can you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Yes, a few years back a full bag was sold for 2.50 old irish punts to a main collector.He then sold it on .It is then sorted and washed and resold usually in third world countries at a profit.Best thing to do is give yours to charity shops when they are open.dont leave them outside .

Zaph wrote: »
    You just can't win, can you? :rolleyes:

The Fingal recycling center in coolmine cloths collection bank is a locked and safe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I don't care if the fake charities sell my old clothes and make a few quid in the process. Kudos to them for not sitting on their holes begging.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Kudos to them for not sitting on their holes begging.

Why do you think they would be begging, it is a very organized affair more than just a few roma going door to door.

Anyway a false or out of date companies registration is an offense and and deprives valid charities of income

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I don't care if the fake charities sell my old clothes and make a few quid in the process. Kudos to them for not sitting on their holes begging.
    Would you say kudos to a drug dealer for getting off his junkie ass and making some money, and kudos for not begging?

They shouldn't be thanked, they should be shopped for making the work of real charities a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The same company is back again, this time under the title "Export Clothes Collection". Again the claimed company reg number is from National Childrens Day Limited and the email address is clothescollection@gmail.com.

The bright yellow sticker has the line "...A real Christian indeed with share with those, who are in need.".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 irishharpie

I got one of those through the door a while back. It didn't have a reg number but did have a telephone number. I was dubious about it and called the number only to speak to a guy who had very limited English. When I asked him about the charity he told me no it wasn't them. Two minute's later I got a call back from another guy who said that they were the charity and could collect the clothes at any time to suit me. Naturally I didn't use them, and have been quite weary about trusting any of them that come through the door.

I hate the thought that someone is profiting like that from my unwanted clothing when it should be going to those who really need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 john.kelly

You Shoud Care

Please don't drag up 2 year old threads unnecessarily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement