Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

military archives

Options
  • 20-06-2008 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Has anyone else tried to get access to the military archives and been totally frustrated? I understand renovations have to take place but I asked could documents be viewed in the national archives which other people have done and they point blank refused. It is a total joke that you can't get access to military records, especially since they are crying out for people to write about the military history of Ireland. Any one who has had experience of the military archives could not be blamed for wanting to steer clear of that whole aspect of irish history. It is totally exasperating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

They're undergoing a major reorganisation at the moment, which includes a move to new premises within Cathal Brugha barracks and taking on a new staff of qualified archivists.

At any given time, they're deluged with requests, and right now they're not in a position to deal with any of them.

When things get back underway, they'll have a huge backlog to clear, but then they'll be better equipped than they've ever been to help researchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

I concur with the OP -
    It does reflect poorly on a peacetime Army of a relatively young state with a highly contested past that the resources and facilities are so poor.
    It is a great pity that more thought and resources were not allocated to facilitate greater access to materials via the National Archives. Whilst it seems understandable that a logistical upheaval such as renovations could disrupt the work of a voluntary society - like the Irish Labour History Society - it is regrettable that an alternative arrangement wasn't made in advance of planned construction/renovation

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nalsa

its great that they are willing to make improvements but surely the records could have been stored in the national archives so they were still available for researchers during renovations?
    My thesis is due in a month so it will be of absolutely no use to me then, they could at least have told people that it was going to happen not that it would have made much difference I assume since I rang back in January and yet am still only sixty people back on the list.
    It will be great for future researchers i am sure, the fact that I am going to end up with a pass mark at best in my thesis because of it doesn't exactly leave me with a warm and glowing feeling about the whole thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Night Flight

What topic specifically are you researching?

Advertisement