Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of doing a phd - a few questions

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I have been working in IT world for more years than I care to remember, and am thinking of giving it all up to do a phd.

What is the typical funding available for a computer phd?

I assume it can be supplemented doing tutorials or contract work, but what is the typical amount of extra-curricular work that is possible?

I have been told that even though I have a 2.1 degree and a masters, I would be lower down in a queue for funding than a recent grad with a first. Is this always the case? (based on this, is it assumed that a first from all universities is treated equally. Anecdotally, I believe that colleges are giving out firsts much more frequently nowadays, and it was always the case that some colleges would give out firsts much easier than others.)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Hi,

I have been working in IT world for more years than I care to remember, and am thinking of giving it all up to do a phd.

I assume it can be supplemented doing tutorials or contract work, but what is the typical amount of extra-curricular work that is possible?

I have been told that even though I have a 2.1 degree and a masters, I would be lower down in a queue for funding than a recent grad with a first. Is this always the case? (based on this, is it assumed that a first from all universities is treated equally. Anecdotally, I believe that colleges are giving out firsts much more frequently nowadays, and it was always the case that some colleges would give out firsts much easier than others.)

Thanks in advance

Hi there
    First, why are you thinking of doing a PhD? And does it have to be Fulltime?
    Second, a recent first would indicate a mind at the top of the academic game, at that time. While the practical experience of a degree plus a masters plus work would be imho a good counterpoise, the fact is that a first from 2007 is a known, bankable, proposition. So, that may explain the reactions. This goes back to my first q- if you dont have to do the thing FT then the scholarship issues are moot.
    As for scholarships etc: it depends on where its sourced. IRCSET/SFI are c 23k pa but fees come from that also. While one can work a lot outside, as a supervisor I would contraindicate that at least in year 1. You really need to treat a PhD as a FT job if you are doing it FT.
    Dunno if that helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Hi,

The thread in the link below deals with these questions in some detail.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055052249
    I have been told that even though I have a 2.1 degree and a masters, I would be lower down in a queue for funding than a recent grad with a first. Is this always the case?

No, it is most definitely not always the case. I went for a PhD position with a 2:1 and MSc, and got it, and I'm pretty sure that there were recent grads with firsts applying for it too. You have a lot of work experience, and an M. Sc, a 2:1 should be sufficient for most PhD positions. Relevant experience and an ability to demonstrate interest and knowledge of the area count waaaay more than when you graduated and with what grade. Compared to a guy who is straight out of their undergrad, and possibly has no significant programming/IT experience, you have many advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 passthedutchie

Thanks for the helpful comments.
    Just saw on the irish times that there is actual evidence about recent grade inflation.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/frontpage/2007/0813/1186781453874.html

Doing the phd is part of a overall career/lifestyle change.

Advertisement