Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TF: Animated Toy Thoughts....

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

I have Deluxe Black Arachnia, Voyager Starscream and Voyager Bulkhead so far...

Deluxe Black Arachnia
    I do like how she transforms from spider to robot mode. The way her head comes up out of her abdomen and manages to position itself at the other end of her body. The problem is stowing her head back in the abdomen... can be awkward. Also the way the front 4 legs are arranged is unusual and it seems impossible to arrange them in a symmetrical pattern.... I've haven't quite found a good way to stow them in robot mode either.

Voyager Starscream
    Mine seems to be have a faulty right arm unfortunately. Must have got a bit of a bang in transit as his head was loose in the box too when I opened it. Clicking the head back in was handy enough but the arm seems to be poorly joined so his hand keeps popping off and his null ray swings about too freely. Again I find the transformation very clever. The way the nose cone of the plane stows away by itself as you fold the legs into place is great. But again transforming back to alt mode is the frustrating part... trying to stow the arms away I found very irritating.. of course this isn't helped by the fact that his hand keeps falling off for me. I'll be sure to report back once I've brought him back and got him replaced with a new one.

Voyger Bulk Head

I think Bulkhead might actually be my favourite out of the three. Where the others involve moving lots of fiddly little bits, Bulkhead is far more clunky and all the bits slot together in a far more satisfying manner. I also like that fact that he has lots of proper hinges with metal pins in them... There other two have frighteningly shallow plastics nubs instead to hold them in place.

I like his big ball thing... it hit me in the face and made me laugh when I first activated it... awesome!

I'll take photos tomorrow....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At the risk of going off topic and being banndeded, i cry every time i think of my old 80s transformers collection :(

hotrod, scourge, cyclonus, grimlock, weirdwolf, mindwipe, sideswipe, seaspray etc etc my sister nicked em all for her damnable kids.

the only survivor is wee mirage, my very first transformer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ha... well I haven't really bought any transformers since I was a kid either... so it's all a bit new to me again.

But looking back.. our old toys were pretty damn crappy when you compare them to these... The possibility is just great on them

I mean... you mention Cyclonus there... I loved that toy... His vehicle mode is cool.. but how crappy is the transformation sequence and how terrible are his stumpy little arms?

Mindwipe was another one I had... neat little figure... but his transformation essentially consisted of bending his legs behind his back.

(Grimlock was utterly awesome though... and still is!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i thought he was cool because he had horns, and i loved his popeye forearms but yeah mindwipe and weirdwolf basically just stood up to transform. I still think the gen 1 toys blew the later ones away, though I havent seen the current ones.

I always wanted the rest of the dinobots but they were impossible to find.

I had Slag and Grimlock.

Always wanted Swoop... but could never find him anywhere.

The new TF: Animated toy is definitely on my list.

swoop2.jpgswoop1.jpg

Oh yeah... I have Bulkhead in with me in work today.

Just snapped a shot of him on my phone.

bulkhead.jpg

He's threatening to turn off my MacBook Pro...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Your phone is better than my actual camera :?

I really love Ratchet to bits. He's one of my favourite Transformers of all time. Great Transformation, good poseability(it would have ben possible to give him waist articulation but I guess it would have looked silly given his belly and already bendy limbs) and I love the colour scheme too. They need to learn to match up colours better.

He's just a really fun figure. I love the Bob the Builder accessories and the way they go in his backpack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Potatoprime

Picked em all up while I was in Limerick yesterday. Well all except Megatron voyager class, got the 2 pack instead :D. Very pleased with all of them but I'd have to agree that Bulkhead is the star of the line thus far.

The problem with Starscreams arm is a common one. I was lucky thankfully.

Proof that bulkhead is awesome :D

Image000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Bulkhead, is he the first ever TF to be able to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Bulkhead is kind of meh to me. I fail to see how he's better than Ratchet. His transformation is kinda fun but he's all muddy coloured and small.

I got Jazz today. Definitely comes close to the greatness of Ratchet for me. Great posability, one of my favourite alt modes ever. It even impressed my mum. It's as if Speed Racer had owned a Porsche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Potatoprime

Bulkhead is kind of meh to me. I fail to see how he's better than Ratchet. His transformation is kinda fun but he's all muddy coloured and small.

I got Jazz today. Definitely comes close to the greatness of Ratchet for me. Great posability, one of my favourite alt modes ever. It even impressed my mum. It's as if Speed Racer had owned a Porsche.

Where did you get jazz ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Picked up Starscream yesterday. I both love and hate the hands. They are a great fearure but keep coming loose. Dang nabbit.

A lovely looking Figure. the head is awesome. Contains the Classic Starscream look while making it something new. I love the flip on the guns on the arm.

Will pick up the doublepack tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I picked up Bumblebee Deluxe, Screamer and Bulkhead yesterday.

they are pretty awesome, Bulkhead is espically good.

and i ordered Leader Megatron from the US a few weeks back. he is espically awesome, the level of detail is pretty ****ing awesome, and its his Earth mode too, not that ****ty Cybertron mode.

They have them all back in stock in Smyths on Jervis street now.

Still the same bunch. I want to pick up Bumblebee and Ratchet.. might do it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

I've got Sccreams, BA and Ratchet. Weakest BA, strongest Ratchet. All very good

Advertisement