Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit Torrent,Smart broadband and Wireless routers in general

Options
  • 19-06-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I've been out of work for the past two weeks with a foot injury,so I've been planning all the stuff I'm gonna do when I'm fully fit - the first one on the list is to get a decent wireless router. I've got 4MB Smart broadband at the moment and a Belkin G + MIMO router - its terrible. I used to use bittorrent alot when I had a wired router but ever since moving to wireless its impossible, I'm getting terrible speeds and constant disconnects. If theres two computers connected at once and only one is using BT, forget about any meaningful surfing. After opening up all the ports and even turning off my firewall my torrent speeds are around 22KB/s at best and I've got a few more computers coming into the house so I need to upgrade.

Has anyone any recommendations for a router that will meet my needs, or any experience with the smart wireless router?

cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just a general observation from talking to friends of mine who use torrents - wireless and torrents do not seem to go well together. Just a thought.
    Might be worth trying the smart forum to see if anyone there has had success with wireless and torrents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pocketac3s

I'll give the Smart forums a try, would you know if its possible to link my old Smart router(I think its called bridging it, but no completely sure!) to my current wireless router, would that improve the speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭BizzyLizzy

dub45 wrote: »
    Just a general observation from talking to friends of mine who use torrents - wireless and torrents do not seem to go well together. Just a thought.
    Might be worth trying the smart forum to see if anyone there has had success with wireless and torrents.

I've had great success with both a wireless Belkin wireless router (which died after only one year) and currently with a NetGear wireless router when using Bit Torrent.

I wired Desktop PC, 1 wireless Desktop and 2 to 4 laptops.

Eircom DSL

No probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Wireless shouldn't effect torrents - its more down to the torrent your downloading (seeds/peers and whos uploading) and also if your service provider doesn't throttle torrents back and/or block the common bit-torrent ports.

Advertisement