Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Network

Options
  • 19-06-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm quite computer and internet literate however I've a quick question on a wireless network. I have NTL broadband through an Scientific Atlanta (not sure of specific type) cable modem. Could I use a D-Link DWL-900AP+ to create a wireless network at home?

Okay.. I've had a try. There is only one ethernet port on both the D-Link and the modem so I can't conntect both of them and the computer at the same time. I can however connect the wireless router and the modem which allows me to pick the internet up on my laptop through my laptop. Do I need to use a cross over ethernet cable so I can connect all three, Router/Modem/Desktop?

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

markontap wrote: »
    I'm quite computer and internet literate however I've a quick question on a wireless network. I have NTL broadband through an Scientific Atlanta (not sure of specific type) cable modem. Could I use a D-Link DWL-900AP+ to create a wireless network at home?.

The answer is no. and the reason is that the dlink (thanks to Google!) turns out to be a wireless access point. It has no routing function built in. To put it very simplistically a routing function is essential to share one internet connection between several computers. The router literally routes the information between the internet and the various computers.

So to achieve what you want you will need what is often referred to as a cable wireless router. For example: http://netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

markontap wrote: »
    Okay.. I've had a try. There is only one ethernet port on both the D-Link and the modem so I can't conntect both of them and the computer at the same time. I can however connect the wireless router and the modem which allows me to pick the internet up on my laptop through my laptop. Do I need to use a cross over ethernet cable so I can connect all three, Router/Modem/Desktop?

Thanks for any help...

The dlink will allow you to connect the laptop because there is only one computer involved.

HOwever a cable router will connect to your modem and will then have several ethernet ports for you to connect your pc to. the laptop can then connect wirelessly and you can live happily ever after:) provided UPC do their bit for you.

Advertisement