Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs holding dot sight - Help!!!

Options
  • 19-06-2008 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hey, bought this from eHobby weeks ago along with a folding foregrip...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270236774443

Got a letter today from Dublin customs asking for a copy of the paypal receipt and a copy of my firearms licence???

I assume there's gonna be a bit of VAT on it, hence the receipt, but I'm a little confused as to the request for the cert. The letter was a standard printed letter with the licence request circled on it.

Anyone else had this letter through particulay the retailers as you're importing these all the time

Cheers for any help you can give me guys....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Inform them that it is not a real sight, it is for airsoft use and is incapable of withstanding use on a firearm, perhaps forward a copy of the letter derek got from the DOJ regarding airsoft specific equipment.

Its a bloody toy scope ffs, they must have had hundred of those through by now, from ehobby too, it should be obvious.

Bah, post back on how you get on, give them a quick call and explain nicely its not for a real rifle nor is it a real scope, if that fails send a letter and copy of the doj letter etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

Cheers...

I noticed that on the eBay page, it states for recreational toy use...

I agree, they should be well aware of this by now... I wonder if it has something to do the VAT aspect...

Thanks again

Worse comes to worse, try asking derek for a copy of that letter.

I hope they are sound about it and send it out as soon as you say its for airsoft only, good luck.

I'll do that. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I'd say you'll be grand when ya send the tax paymnt in, I know of another case where they held up some vests and stuff and their excuse was "suspected terrorism". lol

send them the reciept and tell them its an airsoft sight , then they'll most likely give it to you no probs.,.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I would not panic, i think you might need to go over the letter beacuse if it the one i think it is i don;t think they need teh gun licence or anything they tick what they need, if its from ehobby there have the company flagged and normaly ask for invoices as they declare really really low values on there parcels.

Just email in a screen shot of invoice or somthing,

Cool.. cheers fellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Hey, bought this from eHobby weeks ago along with a folding foregrip...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270236774443

Got a letter today from Dublin customs asking for a copy of the paypal receipt and a copy of my firearms licence???

I assume there's gonna be a bit of VAT on it, hence the receipt, but I'm a little confused as to the request for the cert. The letter was a standard printed letter with the licence request circled on it.

Anyone else had this letter through particulay the retailers as you're importing these all the time

Cheers for any help you can give me guys....

Coincidentally, I got the very same thing today for a scope they're holding.

I'm going to fax the invoice tomorrow, and follow up with a call explaining its a toy. I dont expect there to be any major issues. Its probably just someone being super-conscientious/paranoid :)

I'll be emailing them tomorrow evening as well... can you let us know how you get on Shiva... Cheers mate...

Incidentally... whats the limit before VAT becomes applicable??

I'll be emailing them tomorrow evening as well... can you let us know how you get on Shiva... Cheers mate...

Incidentally... whats the limit before VAT becomes applicable??

Yep, I'll drop you a line.

Limit is €45, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Question for anyone who might know.

Importation of an RS scope (for airsoft purposes); where would this stand considering I wouldn't have a firearms licence since I don't own a firearm in the first place.

This is all hypothetical at this point so nobody go jumping up and down. I was looking at a scope before and out of idle curiosity I'll ask the question given the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

If it's designed for RS use, you need authorisation/firearms licence to bring it in. (As far as i know)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'm not 100% sure of this but hasn't some of the Stray Dogs team brought in some real steel Russian optics for their AEGs.
    They might be the people to ask regarding import problems with customs and such.

imported a large number of real still ak parts and optics with no issues, i even phones customs before i ordered and i got a ok from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

As far as the PSOP scopes I've gotten go they are light illuminated not laser so there's no problem there. However I had no trouble with my Kobra which is a laser illuminated collimator. I thought the only issue was with beam emitting lasers.

Could just be a case of someone in customs not sure what the situation is.

I was going to get a kobra or pk-as-v russian red-dot sight, they are real, but don't emit a beam, or amplify ambient light, the two main points in the legislation that I can remember.

Now I said above to say the scope is for airsoft only to streamline the process, its not a requisite as far as I know, a scope or red-dot that don't amplify light (night vision) or project a beam (laser for real steel) are not restricted.

Bullets fires real steel, his input on scopes would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

crap thats the same model as the one i ordered, but not from ehobby.

it might also be a good idea to print the product details and highlight the rec toy part when sending the invoice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

You do not need a firearms certificate to buy or import a real or fake scope into Ireland.

If its a real scope or not a real scope. If its a red dot scope or
    not a red dot scope. You need feck all to import into this country.
    They are perfectly legal to buy and import without any firearms cert
    or any permission from anybody.

Only restriction I know of is if its a telescopic scope for a firearm
    that includes Night Vision. I think that may fall into some special case
    where you need to obtain permission (but not a firearms cert) to aquire.

To the OP all you need to do is pay for your Tax/Customs fees and they
    cannot hold it after that.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

as bullets said, the only type of scope you would need permission to import would be for NV, as they are specifically listed in the legislation.

to be honest a rifle scope on an airsoft device is a complete waste of money and scope, unless its a 3-9 x 40 you had already lying around or got cheap.

to be honest a rifle scope on an airsoft device is a complete waste of money and scope, unless its a 3-9 x 40 you had already lying around or got cheap.

when does practicality come into airsoft :) airsoft is about 10% practicality and 90% looks.

the only thing i can think of is if the clarification on these items that mia got has been circulated and someone/people are simply misinterpreting as there is no need for the license, also it could be there just filling in the form wrong its someone new and they just ticked the box as they see it as a firearms part, who filled in both yours and shivas forms.

If you could get a scanned copy (delete all person stuff) might be nice to have a look,

• Advertisement

Exchanged a couple of PMs with JonAnderton, and the same person signed his form as signed mine, so it seems pretty obvious its just someone doesnt know what they're about.

Should be simple enough to sort out.

might be the case shiva just one new person or someone who mis interprets something happens in every work place

Good to see.

Reminds me of ems, so I got paranoid :D

I would really hate it if our legal sport started being restricted by misinterpretation and policies not based on actual legislation.

Oh well, sounds like it will be sorted soon :)

Sent off a copy of the paypal receipt and the eBay page along with a note saying that the sight is designed for and will be used for Airsoft. Got the following reply within a couple of hours...

"Many thanks for you pay pal receipt . Your package is released free of charge from Customs today. You can expect delivery of same within the next few days"

Problem sorted... I hope...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Thats good news anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

As has been said you dont need a licence for this. The fact that it wouldnt survive use on an RS is a very weak argument. The reality is that some of them would and that most of them would survive for a short period and could be used on RS and people do all the time. You will find plenty of scopes that are sold as Airsoft only that are sold else where as for RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

I got the same letter last Christmas with the delivery of the mags for my AEG.

I think that you can misinterperate what the letter says. Its a generic letter and has three choices and states which of three was the cause of the package being stopped.

I called up customs and gave them the reference off the letter. They were just looking for a receipt, but there was one with the package which they didnt spot. All sorted.

From memory they state that if a firearms license is require you have to send them a copy of it.

Just give them a call and check with them. They are fine to deal with.

Rew wrote: »
    As has been said you dont need a licence for this. The fact that it wouldnt survive use on an RS is a very weak argument. The reality is that some of them would and that most of them would survive for a short period and could be used on RS and people do all the time. You will find plenty of scopes that are sold as Airsoft only that are sold else where as for RS.

The point is less that they would disintegrate than be absolutely cack at holding any zero setting.

But fair point, the main argument is they aren't restricted in the first place.

Advertisement