Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards archaeology forum trip??

Options
  • 19-06-2008 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I will just float this as a possible idea and see where it goes. Anybody up for a get together to visit a site?

We have beers, so why not some culture? :D

When 15 votes

July 5th . Saturday
    0%
    July 6th Sunday
    0%
    July 12th . Saturday
    0%
    July 13th . Sunday
    0%
    July 19th . Saturday
    0%
    July 20th . Sunday
    0%
    July 28th . Saturday
    0%
    July 29th . Sunday
    0%
    August 2nd Saturday
    0%
    August 3rd Sunday
    13%
    Riamfadabuffalo 2 votes
    August 9th Saturday
    13%
    Riamfadabuffalo 2 votes
    August 10th Sunday
    20%
    RiamfadabuffaloNutlog!!! 3 votes
    August 16th Saturday
    20%
    August 17th Sunday
    13%
    RiamfadaNutlog!!! 2 votes
    All weekends :D
    20%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

boneless wrote: »
    I will just float this as a possible idea and see where it goes. Anybody up for a get together to visit a site?

We have beers, so why not some culture? :D

sounds very much like work....

that said if somethings organised and doesn't require me to travel the entire length and breath of the country to get there then i'd wander along

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Id be interested depending on the site visited. Personally Id prefer something off the beaten track and not that well-known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

I'd be up for that boneless, defo. And I agree with bawn79 - somewhere off the map! :cool:

In fact, as someone who has a preference for medieval and post-medieval archaeology, might I make a formal suggestion of Aghaboe, Co. Laois?...Ringforts, Mottes, DMVs, the abbey, battlefields, and and bothogai! Plus its one of the regional focal points for the origins of the Land War!

If we do get a few together then I think it may have to go to a vote. Im a big fan of the megaliths, stopped at Aghaboe once or twice on my travels and it is a nice spot but would prefer something older!

Its ok bawn79, no one understands me anyway :( ! . . . :D

Well I've never been one to say no to a wedge tomb! Come to think of it, I've never said anything to a wedge tomb...

...hmmm, New Year's resolution 2009...:cool:

• Advertisement

anybody have any suggestions as to when something like this should take place?

Well personally Id be interested in something very out of the way.
    The kind of site that you wouldnt really recommend visiting by yourself but that a group should be safe enough going to.
    So for instance something on a mountain or in the absolute middle of nowhere.
    So if anyway has any sites that they always wanted to visit but were a bit scared to then this could be a good opportunity.
    Plus well I dont post on here that much really so hopefully a few more regular posters will be interested and lead the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There is a nice passage grave on Seefin Mountain just south of Dublin. Bit of a hike. Id be up for that. I also like Nutlogs Idea of visiting a few post medieval ringforts :p

Seefin

Seefin is a serious hike but really well worth it, the passage tomb is amazing.
    I think it was a 3 hour round trip about an hour up and down.
    There is another big cairn nearby on seefingan.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/46673/images/seefin_hill.html

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/46671/images/seefingan.html

The passage tombs in Sligo (Carrowkeel) would be another suggestion ?

They sound like good ideas alright...would love to see Carrowmore. And sure if someone was drivin (as opposed to us gettin the bus) then maybe some exploration would be possible!

Well boneless you've got 5 interested parties here anyway, worth mentioning it in the other threads???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Seefin is a good idea but it requires a phone call to the DoD. It is right on the edge of Kilbride rifle range. I don't want poor Nutlog getting a round up his spout :D!

Actually, I might make enquiries as to the possibility of gaining access via the camp... might save the hike...:p

Lots of good ideas out there...

Hmmm...cheers for the heads-up boneless! Although rifle ranges gives me an idea...watch this space!

Just tick all the dates you CAN do and then it'll be clear what days are the best. I assume weekends are best ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I want to visit some Greek ruins if possible. Lets do a Germany and swipe the rest of Pergamum from the Turks.

i'll probably have to give it a miss unless ye end up coming south or west. way too much hassle involved in criss crossing the country and swapping vehicles

i'll probably have to give it a miss unless ye end up coming south or west. way too much hassle involved in criss crossing the country and swapping vehicles

Looks like the interest has been lost in this trip.

Ill be on site for the next 6 weeks more or less so thats me out. sorry

bawn79 wrote: »
    Looks like the interest has been lost in this trip.

not a lack of interest, simply on site for the next couple of weeks and there's only so many hours in a weekend

If anything it seems like there's a core of users who are interested, just time thats hard to work out.

An August weekend seems the most favourable, so maybe sommat for the last weekend therein or first in September?

i'll put myself back down for september unless work gets in the way again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement