Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

training in the garden

Options
  • 19-06-2008 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

can anyone please give me some advice on how to train my pup to use one particular area of the garden as her bathroom???
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The best way would be to start bringing your dog out on a lead when you reckon she will need to go. Stand where you would like her to go and wait, when she goes praise her and give her treats. You could even pick a word to say when she is going so that eventually she will go to the toilet on command.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Agree with above...pick a word and try keep it the same everytime. When he/she goes, just give loads of praise and treats.
    Try not to stand right over the dog though, or stare at them, making them feel nervous wont help.

Also i find to try and keep the area clean as much as possible. My two only go at the back of the garden, but if the area isnt clean they start to make their way back up the garden...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

ok grand.

she goes on command outside. she is nearly fully house trained but id say 1 in 20 times she might have an accident if she is too far from the backdoor or something. But she is great at night time too she knows before bed time she goes out and i say "wees" and she does them.

so the lead is the best thing to show her a deisgnated area and keep bringing her to it until she goes there on her own yeh? we keep the garden clean, and do a clean up every day or 2nd day really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Thats cool, i think you have the hard part done...going on command :)
    best of luck...

Advertisement