Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox 3.0

Options
  • 18-06-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have the same problem as me with the new FF3? In my task manager it is using about 78,490k! This seems to be a lot for a better browser, any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

its using 161,124 here, although i have 2 windows and a few tabs open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I have one window, AVG free and zone alarm running. It just seems to be very slow when typing. Or maybe it's my fingers getting tired!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

It's called a memory leak.

So how do we plug it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

conceited wrote: »
    It's called a memory leak.

It's called a page cache... FF maintains a cache for each open tab so that < and > navigation is snappier. The memory leak issue was with FF2, and it was resolved nearly a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

In the old firefox if you came across a bad security certificate you could click on button and accept it.

This was handy if your date was wrong (for free software) or for sites without the www prefix, where you knew the cert was actually right. (vodafone.ie cert is wrong as the cert is for www.vodafone.ie. Check yourself!)

Now you have to go add exception, search for cert, add, are you sure, reload page. What a pain in the àss.

Although the new address bar is class.

I clicked on both those links and had no probs? Only thing I dislike is the fact it doesn't hold the sites you have visited like in the old one. In fact I might give it another week and go back to the old version.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

I'm finding it to be slower than v2. I have had similar issues while testing Ubuntu 8.04, Ultimate Edition and now in openSUSE 11. This leads me to believe FF is the issue. It has a habit of exiting suddenly. After reading the above I was a little concerned about the 526,000 vmsize use too. I certainly don't feel it is any faster than v2. A little disapointing really. Now as soon as I can get konqueror to save the opened tabs I'll try that for a while.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

There's this new feature in the latest builds: http://jboriss.wordpress.com/2008/07/16/control-tab-a-new-feature-for-firefox/

I haven't tried it yet, but reading about it there, I don't like the sound of it.

I'm very used to using Ctrl+Tab to switch to the next tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ImmortalOne

I've never been a fan of firefox for good reasons. Bugs take a long time to fix, unless their a major security issue. The mozilla team didn't do too well with this browser. Mozilla's seamonkey is far better, and not as buggy.

Also, sometimes SOCKS 4/5 proxies send back malformed version packets. Firefox doesn't know what to do with these, so just exits abruptly. Boom, gone.

Another issue I have is with flash, sometimes the flash applications don't load, you just see a black white screen. Lets hope it doesn't take a lifetime to fix this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement