Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Solstice 2008

Options
  • 18-06-2008 6:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Yeay, imminent Solstice!

For the first time in four years, I will not be spending a whole three days on Tara in celebration!! And this is the first year its fallen on a weekend, typical! I have to do an exam that day, and my only other alternatives are the following weekend in Galway or eh, next year. I will make it up for the main ceremony at 8pm, and sun set. As usual, all are welcome to come along! I believe there is a thread on here already called "Summer Solstice on Tara 2008"

Thinking of doing my own sun welcoming ceremony in the morning, and considering asking around if anyone knows of anyone doing something in Dublin in the morning? I guess most ceremonies are private though, which is understandable. It's all a bit up in the air!

If anyone is planning on going from Dublin to Tara on Saturday at around 5pm and has a spare seat I would be glad of a lift, otherwise I'll BusÉireann it up!

Hope everyone has good plans and is looking forward to it!
    <3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Summer solstice is actually today this year June 20th...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Its really a three day festival/celebration/period, if you ask me... but then you didnt :)

Happy Solstice to you Splendour!!

Thanks Jesjes, but I don't actually celebrate summer solstice- am Christian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Happy Solstice to ye all
    Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

hope everyone had a good one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What a fantastic Mid Summers Eve, shame Saturday was such a let down weather wise.

ps, you're not much of a christian are you Splendour? Or else you would have been celebrating a significant christian holy day...

Dyflin wrote: »
    What a fantastic Mid Summers Eve, shame Saturday was such a let down weather wise.

ps, you're not much of a christian are you Splendour? Or else you would have been celebrating a significant christian holy day...

A Christian holy day. How so-enlighten me please?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Splendour wrote: »
    A Christian holy day. How so-enlighten me please?!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer

here ya go :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

superficially Christianised as celebrations of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist as "Saint John's Eve" festivals. They are particularly important in Northern Europe - Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden

Specifically.

But we're going off topic now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Jesjes wrote: »
    Specifically.

But we're going off topic now..

I don't think that's off topic at all.

There are many rural communities throughout the country who mark St. Johns with community wide festivities, bonfires, fete's and all sorts. St Johns eve in many communities seems as good an excuse as any for a midsummer festival!

I know for certain that it's a pretty big thing on a number of the Islands and coastal communities of north connemara up as far as Belmullet.

From having taken part in many such rural celebrations, the method of celebration seems pretty specific to "Irish Catholics" or the various remenant influences to the celtic church that mark Christianity in Ireland from other Christian nationalities as being quite distinct within the local communities as opposed to on the pulpit.

Holding neopagan reconstructionist ceremonies on the ancient earthworks of a site with no particuluar affiliation to midsummer is not the only way to celebrate such an event. Many traditions do it in their own way and at the end of the day, whether you are a pagan of whatever ilk or of the Abrahamic faiths, many have their own way's of recognising the importance of the sun at it's peak.

• Advertisement

How is it not off topic? The thread was about a specific event I was going to and wishing other members of this forum a happy solstice... not debating the semantics of the origin or current celebration of the Solstice...!

Anyway, if you guys wanna debate, go on ahead, I aint giving this any energy.

Advertisement