Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend trekking boots

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'll be trekking in Nepal this September and need to sort out some footwear. The terrain is mostly hilly with a lot of ascents and descents as opposed to long and flat but the entire trek is along a well worn trail and not through wilderness. Because of the time of year there will almost certainly be no snow but they'll need to be properly waterproof.

It's important that they're light because I'll have to horse them around India for 6 weeks beforehand. I haven't really considered money but I guess I could spend about €200 max. Any recommendations for shops in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

The Great Outdoors, Chatham Street. They'll fit you and talk to you about your requirements and probably will have the boots to fit your feet, though they can be a bit pricey IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Prenderb wrote: »
    The Great Outdoors, Chatham Street. They'll fit you and talk to you about your requirements and probably will have the boots to fit your feet, though they can be a bit pricey IMHO.

Yeah that's why I was hoping there would be other options. Although if they do offer good advice and will have stuff to fit me then I guess it might be worth the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Prenderb wrote: »

find a few nice pairs of boots in GOD's then go try find the same pairs in cheaper places on capel street and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

If they fit your feet properly, I couldn't recommend the Meindl Vakuum MFS enough. Bought a pair about 6 months ago and wear them everywhere, on the street and on the hills. Light, sturdy, waterproof and durable.

Great Outdoors are highly recommended, regularly, by many boardsies who know their stuff. As are Bridgedale and SmartWool socks to complement your new boots and give you the highest level of comfort for those long days on the hill. Both the GoD and good socks are genuinely worth the investment - Don't mind the cheapskates who go shopping for everything in Army Bargains. You get what you pay for when it comes to good footwear and footcare.

;)

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Great. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement