Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Weather Reports

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Probably a bit early to ask this! Going to Lake Garda in Italy in 12 days time. Any ideas what sort of weather to expect. Is there a website that gives weather forecasts for 7/14 ahead in Italy ?

Thanks in advance for any info !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can't really reliably forecast ahead that far but my money's on warm and sunny with possible evening thunderstorms.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Thanks Supercell ! Hope youre right . Found this link below which looks promising !

http://www.zoover.co.uk/italy/lake-garda-region/bardolino/weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

up till now June has been terrible in northern Italy, some areas have accumulated up to 300 mm in fierce thunderstorms! However the weather is improving, here in Rome we touched 30 yesterday and on friday we should touch 32:) Same for lake Garda i hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Plenty of spectacular thunderstorm activity bubbling up around the length of the spine of Italy in recent days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I am in/near Venice (Lido de Jesolo) for two weeks - yeaaah!

Was in Venice last night - spectacular lightning show to the west of the city. Just as it was getting dark a large CB moved in with lightning every couple of seconds and lightning eminating from the sides of the CB - classic stuff!

A lot of lightning here this morning, spent a couple of hours this morning (from 6am - thunder actually woke me) wacthing forked lightning strike the plains to the north of me, again lightning every couple of seconds. Spectacular stuff (by Irish standards anyway) - locals didn't bat an eyelid!

Not much rain from either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I am in/near Venice (Lido de Jesolo) for two weeks - yeaaah!

Was in Venice last night - spectacular lightning show to the west of the city. Just as it was getting dark a large CB moved in with lightning every couple of seconds and lightning eminating from the sides of the CB - classic stuff!

A lot of lightning here this morning, spent a couple of hours this morning (from 6am - thunder actually woke me) wacthing forked lightning strike the plains to the north of me, again lightning every couple of seconds. Spectacular stuff (by Irish standards anyway) - locals didn't bat an eyelid!

Not much rain from either.

Nice one!

I'm in Germany at the moment - 30c and clear blue skies.

Mods - How about a 'Foreign Weather Reports' sticky??!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Good idea arctictree, i'll use this thread but will re-name it.
    Keep those reports coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"This rain will gradually spread northwards across the country on Friday night, and Saturday will bring overcast weather with widespread and locally heavy rain country-wide. Saturday will also be cold, with afternoon temperatures in the low to mid teens in a strong northeast wind"

The only difference in Ireland from jan to july is more daylight so you can look at the misery outside for longer!above forecast is for this weekend which could be for any of the 12 months of the year!:cool:

34 degrees here in rome....spectacular thunder clouds to the southeast
    D2u.jpg
    [IMG]file:///Users/gioacchinobottigliero/Desktop/D2u.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/gioacchinobottigliero/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just had a huge Ts here (more a MCS) near Venice (Lido de Jesolo) - watched the anvil build up and spread out litterly for hours (see the big blob to the south-east of the attached). Again, amazing lightning display (by Irish standards) lasted approx. 2 hours.

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=eu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

World images here, notice the north atlantic jet stream and how far south over europe it has gone!

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=world

just for the info 43 degrees in sicily (wetterzentrale at 12:00)...dropped back down to 30 now! that wind was seriously boiling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

accuweather.com do a 15 day forecast

usually pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

:eek:

Never saw a level 3 on esofex before. Tornado warnings for Poland.
    When is the next flight to Warsaw.

http://www.estofex.org/

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=view&country=eu
    Forecast Update

Forecast Update
    Valid: Fri 15 Aug 2008 18:00 to Sat 16 Aug 2008 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Fri 15 Aug 2008 18:09
    Forecaster: GROENEMEIJER

+ + + TORNADO OUTBREAK CURRENTLY UNDERWAY ACROSS SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL POLAND AND POSSIBLY SLOVAKIA EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE EVENING + + +

DISCUSSION

S and E Poland... Slovakia... E Czech Rep...

A line of supercells with reported tornadoes are ongoing across a line from just west of Warsaw to Krakow to Bratislava. These are expected to continue during the evening while moving eastward. As a southerly nocturnal low-level jet sets in across the Pannonian Plain and the Carpates, and the pressure gradient increases due to pressure falls east of the Alps, low-level shear profiles are expected to improve further. A continued threat of supercells producing (strong) tornadoes, very large hail and damaging winds is forecast. Storms may weaken no sooner than well after midnight.

E Austria... W and C Hungary

Strong storm-relative helicity of around 400 m2/s2 is expected to develop across extreme eastern Austria and the western half Hungary during the evening in reponse to pressure falls over Hungary. Storm that develop in this environment would have a high probability of producing tornadoes, also given the moist boundary layer that is present, with expceptionally high dew points of 23 C observed. The most important question is whether and if yes, how many storms will develop. Currently, we anticipate that isolated to scattered storms will develop, possibly clustering into a small MCS. An attendant threat of tornadoes, including strong tornadoes, as well as large hail and damaging gusts is forecast. Only after midnight should the boundary layer cool sufficiently to mitigate the severe threat.

Lithuania, N Belarus, Latvia

Given very strong low-level and deep-layer shear that should develop during the evening, clustering convective storms across Poland may develop into a bow echo. This system will likely move northeastward across the warm front and affect the southern Baltic States and N Belarus overnight, producing damaging wind gusts. Some threat of tornadoes will also exist with these storms and some large hail may occur as well.

Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovnia, N Serbia

A few supercells will likely affect the area during the evening and into the night.Rather high LCL heights limit the threat of tornadoes, but large, possibly very large hail and damaging winds appear possible. That said, strong low-level shear and lowering LCL heights during the evening may suffice to produce conditions allowing for tornado development. Per GFS, the threat of convective storms should continue overnight.

# # #

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Here's something you don't see every day, I was looking at some light cloud formations high up in an otherwise clear sky yesterday, and realized it was volcanic ash suspended at about 20,000 feet from the currently active volcanoes in Alaska. You could see it was rather dark compared to ice crystal type cirro-cumulus, but that's what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd love to see some photo's of that if you have any MT?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well let's see, I posted this picture over on Net-weather, but I have not tried out boards.ie for posting pictures yet. This may or may not work. This picture shows the ash or dust layer but it is not the brighter cloud mass near the (western) horizon but the less obvious ones higher up. If you can blow the picture up to some huge size you'll see it more distinctly. Here goes, I am trying to post the picture now.

Well that worked, it's not that great a picture of what I could see, but if you imagine that higher band of CiCu having a bit of a darkish tinge in reality then you'll get the picture. That lower cloud is just your garden variety warm frontal Ac. That moved in here today so I haven't seen the higher cloud layers since this picture was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭kindredspirit

Snowbie wrote: »

This http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&u=http%3a%2f%2fpogoda%2ewp%2epl%2fwid%2c10240126%2cwiadomosc%2ehtml%3fticaid%3d16682 happened last week in Poland.

The sky was blue all day and little wind, then for 10 minutes hurricane force winds threshed the area, blew down loads of trees, took concrete roofs off houses and then the sky went back to blue again! No evidence in the sky of what had happened, just massive destuction on the ground. Local people thought it was wierd.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there were hailstones the size of golfballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Snowbie wrote: »

Saw this video while looking at the links rc28 posted about the flooding up north.
    They were spot on alright.:eek:
    Poland hit by tornado!!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭kindredspirit

Tornado hit the coast of Galicia this afternoon. No-one hurt thank goodness.

Tornado11.jpg

Looks like a water spout but called a tornado in local news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Can anyone tell me the weather outlook for Costa Dorada area of Spain from next Friday! I've seen a few sites but all seem to give different forecasts!

Whats the most reliable /accurate site for Spanish weather ? All info appreciated !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Here's something you don't see every day, I was looking at some light cloud formations high up in an otherwise clear sky yesterday, and realized it was volcanic ash suspended at about 20,000 feet from the currently active volcanoes in Alaska. You could see it was rather dark compared to ice crystal type cirro-cumulus, but that's what it was.

How bizarre.

Was flying back from Toronto last week (21st) when they announced that due to volcanic ash the plane had to have the engines cleaned.

Needless to say we were a little worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

dak wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the weather outlook for Costa Dorada area of Spain from next Friday! I've seen a few sites but all seem to give different forecasts!

Whats the most reliable /accurate site for Spanish weather ? All info appreciated !

Just been there for the last week and landed back today. Weather has been nice there for the last week with the exception of an almighty thunderstorm over Salou on Friday night. Similar to the July 1985 event here (but not as good as 85) Patchy clouds on most days. Sunday was a scorcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu29h7vi7-M shows the effects of a severe thunder storm that happened while I was there. At around 1 min to 1 min 5 sec you can see lightning. It's not my video as I was on a bus back from Barcelona that broke down (wiper went) and we could see the lightning all around us.

I thought the holiday as a dream and I woke up in Carlow! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

One assumes you are in this "foreign" country of Italy now..... and can use the Meteo Italia site www.meteo.it to view their 6 day forecast in glorious flash - which is more than www.meteo.fr provide in their recently redesigned site.

Oggi = today
    Domani = tomorrow

.probe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/multimedia/gallery/popups/imgpop_02.html A photo from my aforementioned Spanish storm has made the BBC photos of the week...

Advertisement