Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable TV versus The Dish

Options
  • 18-06-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I subscribe to the basic NTL package. We pay a little extra for additional points throughout the house. Apart from the TV, I like the service because of being able to listen to British FM radio stations.

I am now wondering if I would be better off making a once-off purchase of a dish and cancelling NTL. What are the pros and cons?

At present I have three TVs and as many tuners hooked up to the cable service. Could I continue to have multi-room viewing and listening with a dish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I am now wondering if I would be better off making a once-off purchase of a dish and cancelling NTL. What are the pros and cons?

Do you mean one of those satellite dishes where you make a one-off payment or something like a Sky dish?
    The "free" satellite dish option (i.e. the ones with no monthly payments) don't have reception for local TV stations (RTE, TV3 etc) afaik so you may have to resort to rabbit ears for those channels. They also lack some of the UK channels.

The Home Entertainment forum may have more info as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,468 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thanks DeepBlue... Good idea. I'll move it there now.

(Moved from Television)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

DeepBlue wrote: »
    They also lack some of the UK channels.

BBC One, Two, Three, Four, BBC News, BBCi, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4, Channel 4, E4, More 4, all BBC Radio channels, all free and no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    BBC One, Two, Three, Four, BBC News, BBCi, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4, Channel 4, E4, More 4, all BBC Radio channels, all free and no extra cost.

I presume there are various offerings.
    When I was looking at it a few months back Channel 4 was unavailable. But I'm no expert and could well be wrong :confused:.

The lack of the local channels RTE etc was the dealbreaker for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

Thanks for the feedback.

If I can continue to listen to FM radio and have multi-room viewing, I'll probably go for the dish. Compared with bi-monthly payments to NTL, it would pay for itself in less than a year.

As for Irish stations, I'll see how easy it is to set up rabbit's ears in the attic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement