Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two weddings at Harvey's Point??

Options
  • 18-06-2008 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I'm looking around at wedding reception venues at the moment, and was considering Harveys Point. I hear its great for food etc., and the location is lovely, but i was a bit put off by their "2 weddings a day" policy. I know they have separate function rooms for the dinners, but there's only one residents bar, so we are bound to bump into the other bridal party at some stage! I would be interested to hear people's experiences of being at weddings there. IN PARTICULAR, if there's anyone who got married there, I'd love to hear how ye got on, especially if ye felt it was an issue "mingling" with another wedding party on the day. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

tiddlywink wrote: »
    I'm looking around at wedding reception venues at the moment, and was considering Harveys Point. I hear its great for food etc., and the location is lovely, but i was a bit put off by their "2 weddings a day" policy. I know they have separate function rooms for the dinners, but there's only one residents bar, so we are bound to bump into the other bridal party at some stage! I would be interested to hear people's experiences of being at weddings there. IN PARTICULAR, if there's anyone who got married there, I'd love to hear how ye got on, especially if ye felt it was an issue "mingling" with another wedding party on the day. Thanks!
    Was at a wedding a number of years ago in Harvey's Point and it was brilliant, really enjoyed it because the wedding crowd stays at the hotel rather than goes around the pubs in the town! There was only one wedding a day in Harvey's Point at that time so don't know how the mingling etc would work out but do feel it could be a good thing because the crack is obviously going to be doubled unless ofcourse the other wedding party are boring or something!

I would see who the other wedding party will be first, if you are the first one then ask them to inform you when the other function room is booked and try to see if there could be interaction after the wedding between the two wedding groups! I think if they are able to cater for all and the service is great - which it was when I was there, I definitely wouldn't let the fact of another wedding party being in the hotel hold you back from having your wedding there! It is a beautiful hotel and a breathtaking setting for a wedding, good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jm_killybegs

We got married recently and did the reception in one of the more mainstream hotels...

The thing that peeved me about Harvey's Point was the rules.

You will get married at 2 o'clock,
    You will arrive at 5 o'clock
    Dinner will start at 6
    Music 8
    Disco 11
    Bed 1am

Or something like that....not a lot of flexibility in how our wedding was going to be... so, sod that.... went elsewhere, and did it our way, including drinking til crazy'o'clock. PM if you want the name of that place...

Was at a friends wedding their in May, and must admit it was quite nice.

One other thing that worried us when looking around was the way starters and deserts are done, but I must say, it all worked out well.

Still, a little pricey for doing things their way..... (if you ask me)...

Congratulations, and best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

was at a wedding there 2 years ago, when the meal was over a few of us fellows went to the hotel bar, we were told in a kind of a way to leave as the clientele that stay in the hotel are not used to groups drinking in the bar:eek::rolleyes: in fact back for one on friday week there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Depending on the time of year, there's a good chance that no one else will book that date, especially if its September to June.
    Ask them would they usually have two wedding on that date, i.e. was there two this year or last year on that date.
    I dont think i'd be put off by two separate weddings in the one hotel, especially if it has a good reputation. Better to have a good meal with two weddings rather than a bad meal and be on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I've been at a couple of family weddings there in the last two years, most recently in October, when there were two weddings on the day.

The only time we really saw the other party was during the family photographs in the grounds, so it's very much a case of two separate receptions. Each venue has its own bar, although the one in the smaller suite is really only a hole in the wall and can struggle to cope later on in the evening. Each also has its own access to an outside 'patio' area for the smokers/ outdoor drinkers.

It is a venue that encourages the guests to stay in the one place rather than trawling around the pubs and falling in late for the meal. (I'm quite happy to sit in the one place drinking all day but nowadays people seem to have to turn it into a days work:confused: ). If they could ban mobile phones too it would be close to perfect.

The food was excellent as always. I'll have to say also that the bridal suite in the new building was very impressive so make sure you get a full tour.

I've heard good reports about the nearby Solis as well but never been in it as yet.

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote: »

I've heard good reports about the nearby Solis as well but never been in it as yet.

Heard that at the end of April, beginning of May the Chef walked out half way through the dinner and a lot of the guests didn't get anything - the bride was crying and the groom was raging! The reason I heard he walked out was that they didn't have enough staff on duty and were not able to cope! Think the wedding couple were compenstated by the hotel but at that stage it is a bit late!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Heard that at the end of April, beginning of May the Chef walked out half way through the dinner and a lot of the guests didn't get anything - the bride was crying and the groom was raging! The reason I heard he walked out was that they didn't have enough staff on duty and were not able to cope! Think the wedding couple were compenstated by the hotel but at that stage it is a bit late!
    Small world indeed. I was talking to the grooms father earlier today (an old friend of mine who I hadnt met in the last 5 years or so) and he was telling me about that escapade. I think there were actually 2 chefs and both walked out. About 50 guests went without a meal although the rest did get served.

In fairness the management did return the deposit and compensation was paid. It was just unfortunate that whatever differences there were between the kitchen staff and management erupted in the middle of a wedding reception. That aside the grooms father spoke highly of the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

muffler wrote: »
    Small world indeed. I was talking to the grooms father earlier today (an old friend of mine who I hadnt met in the last 5 years or so) and he was telling me about that escapade. I think there were actually 2 chefs and both walked out. About 50 guests went without a meal although the rest did get served.

In fairness the management did return the deposit and compensation was paid. It was just unfortunate that whatever differences there were between the kitchen staff and management erupted in the middle of a wedding reception. That aside the grooms father spoke highly of the place though.

HI, There is a bit more to that story...I Don't want to get into any bother here so I wont be telling Tales...

But one thing I do know is that SOLIS has actually got its act together, Their new chef was former head chef in the K-Club.. There was a wedding there a few weeks ago that was one of the Leinster Rugby Players and it was supposed to be fantastic..I dont know what the menu was But I heard that when the food was excellent.. My sis in law works there and says that the chef told all the staff that
    "NO MATTER WHAT THE PROBLEM IS, COME AND TELL ME..and I'll sort it out"

I've a friend getting married there Next year...

The Mill Park is also Getting good reviews..The Abbey is always a good spot,But unfortunately because of it's position The crowd tends to get broken up for some of the evening..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tiddlywink

Thanks for all the replies.

1) In Harveys Point, to what extent did people find they bumped into the other wedding party during the day? I know each function room has its own bar within it, but my experience at weddings is that people tend to wander off to the residents bar around the time of the drinks reception and again at the end of the night. If anyone has gotten married there, did they find that they tended to bump into the other wedding a lot in the residents bar?

2)
    sesswhat wrote: »
    The only time we really saw the other party was during the family photographs in the grounds, so it's very much a case of two separate receptions.
    quote] I had wondered about photos as well.....is it a case of bridal parties queuing up to "take turns" getting their photos taken at particular spots?

3) Also, how did ye know where to go for which wedding? Was it well sign-posted?

To be honest (probably fairly obvious from the post!) I hate the idea of bumping into another wedding party at all. I think you're paying enough money without having to put up with that. The only way I could book with Harveys, is if I felt that neither us , or our guests, would know there was another wedding on there.....if you get my drift....

muffler wrote: »

I'm so glad to hear that, I thought it was terrible to have your day spoilt but at the same time I suppose the hotel couldn't do anything about it at the time - it was beyond their control!

I was in the Solis at a function (not a wedding) at the end of May and it was excellent, though I think they could have had some more staff on duty - we ran out of coffee and that is not good news for me! It is an absolutely beautiful hotel and well worth a visit even just to have high tea/coffee or a wonder into the public bar! One down side is the front having loose chips ruins a good pair of shoe heels!

I also heard that The Millpark is very good and am looking forward to a couple of wedding there myself next month! The garden is nice too as they are in the Solis and also Harvey's Point - the Abbey, Central don't really have a garden though I think they can arrange one at a price for a wedding party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Having worked as a hotel manager for many years and arranging well over 1000 weddings there is one big disadvantage to more than one wedding in any venue on the same day... comparisions ! Whether it is the limo the dress the number of bridesmaids etc comparisions are made. It is the bride and grooms special day and should be in my opinion and from experience brides especially are none to pleased with another bridal party on the premises.

I once saw a bride reduced to tears when, after arriving in a beautiful vintage limo which everyone oooh'ed and ahh'ed at, the next bride and groom arrived in an exquisite horse drawn carriage which in many peoples eyes including the first bride's outclassed her arrival. A small point you may say but on her big day the result seemed magnified one hundred fold.

A wedding day should be unique and even the fact of knowing that there is another wedding in the immediate area can take something from that day.

I worked in one Donegal hotel for 8 years where one of, if not the first question asked by persepective brides and grooms was '..will there only be one wedding on the day?'

Taking nothing away from Harveys their Weddings catered for in the main function room are wonderful. The service and food are second to none. But in any hotel no matter how good the hotels intentions you could end up being known as 'the second wedding' and this can happen even by virtue of the number of guests you have attending or even by arrival time.

Shop around for uniqueness.;)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Having worked as a hotel manager for many years and arranging well over 1000 weddings there is one big disadvantage to more than one wedding in any venue on the same day... comparisions ! Whether it is the limo the dress the number of bridesmaids etc comparisions are made. It is the bride and grooms special day and should be in my opinion and from experience brides especially are none to pleased with another bridal party on the premises.

I once saw a bride reduced to tears when, after arriving in a beautiful vintage limo which everyone oooh'ed and ahh'ed at, the next bride and groom arrived in an exquisite horse drawn carriage which in many peoples eyes including the first bride's outclassed her arrival. A small point you may say but on her big day the result seemed magnified one hundred fold.

A wedding day should be unique and even the fact of knowing that there is another wedding in the immediate area can take something from that day.

I worked in one Donegal hotel for 8 years where one of, if not the first question asked by persepective brides and grooms was '..will there only be one wedding on the day?'

Taking nothing away from Harveys their Weddings catered for in the main function room are wonderful. The service and food are second to none. But in any hotel no matter how good the hotels intentions you could end up being known as 'the second wedding' and this can happen even by virtue of the number of guests you have attending or even by arrival time.

Shop around for uniqueness.;)
    I agree, it is a big day for Bride and Groom and should be celebrated fully and probably having two weddings in the same hotel is not a really good idea! There are other hotels that only have one wedding and also are out of town so guests are less likely to wonder off into the local pubs for hours on end - have even seen some brides going into the pubs in Donegal and forgetting to go back to THEIR wedding! Really true - promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 itsmedee

tiddlywink wrote: »

I got married in Harveys Point last September and there was another bridal party that day but to be honest the only time that I seen them was on the grounds for photos. The hotel is more than big enough to deal with 2 wedding parties. I couldn't fault Harveys in any way as the food, service and experience of the staff really made our day a day to remember! It's true what they say that you do pay for what you get and in my eyes Harveys Point was worth every penny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

just back from wedding at harveys point, fab meal, we were in the smaller suite and never seen the other wedding party at all, dont know what will happen though when the residents bar is called upon.. we had a 3-week old baby with us and thats why were away early.. drinks are pricey in it, but expected that.. some residents for the weekend landed in their helicopter when we were there.. the rooms which I seen are 2nd to none i have seen before elsewhere, unbelievable..

shiibata wrote: »
    just back from wedding at harveys point, fab meal, we were in the smaller suite and never seen the other wedding party at all, dont know what will happen though when the residents bar is called upon.. we had a 3-week old baby with us and thats why were away early.. drinks are pricey in it, but expected that.. some residents for the weekend landed in their helicopter when we were there.. the rooms which I seen are 2nd to none i have seen before elsewhere, unbelievable..
    Was at two weddings in the Millpark and they were brilliant - the wedding party stayed together which doesn't happen in the town. I would definitely go for an out of town wedding reception either in Harvey's Point, Solis or the Millpark if I was getting married again! I was very impressed with the service in the Millpark and as far as I know they get caterers to come in to do all weddings with the management of the hotel keeping a beady eye on them. I have to say everything was absolutely A1 and I would recommend it to anyone booking their wedding!

Wouldn't mind a bit of the steak now - the only down side I think to the meal is that there is no choice of dessert, it was the same for both weddings and everyone got the exact same one!

Advertisement