Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fresh XP install failed files, not booting

Options
  • 18-06-2008 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

i installed xp and but during the install some install files failed driver.cab was one i can remember the rest there was like 3 others i think, I had to skip them cause it just wasnt workin. Completed to the end, now when my computer starts up it gets past the bios screen then to the XP logo with the bar, after that it dies can here it ticking over but the screen is blank.
    If I restart it (manually) It gives me the usual msg last time it fail do u want to start in

Safe mode
    Safe mode with Network settings
    Safe mode XXX

Last know configuration

Normally

I guess its not working cause of the failed files the thing is I tried 2 different xp disks and they both failed at the same points :S. At this point i'm pretty frustated.

I can get into safe mode but its a black screen with just recycle bind icon and start menu.

Please Please Please any help would be loved

Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Would it be possible to try use another CD Drive? Sounds to me the CD Drive might be broken and is unable to install neccesary windows components

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

yeah I could try another my dvd drive, is there no way I can slove this through safe mode, would make things easier than yet another install(ive done 3 at this point)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Had this happen before, another trick is when it asks you to retry, eject the disk - reinsert it and when your hear it spinning hit the button to retry and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

argh finally got a good install now after, it starts up it has the xp logo and does a click and then what sounds like powering down and staring up again but still blank screen no chance and continues like this, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pdevo

when its starting press f8 and disable automatic restart this should give you a error screen should help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

j0e wrote: »
    argh finally got a good install now after, it starts up it has the xp logo and does a click and then what sounds like powering down and staring up again but still blank screen no chance and continues like this, any ideas?
    Try running diagnostics on the hard disk? Could be its on the way out...

Nick

Advertisement