Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Smith at the Helix

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:49pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

For those who are interested, Gordon Smith will be holding an evening of mediumship on 4th September next in the Helix.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I imagine he would be quite interesting to see. I know that, while he charges money for public, media appearances, and talks, he charges nothing for personal one-to-one readings. That's something of an anomaly amongst these types of people.. In a good way. Anyway, he doesn't need to take money from face-to-face readings- he owns and manages his own hairdressing business.

I read his books- I actually enjoyed them. He comes across as a nice guy through them. I have never perceived him to be an opportunistic bullsh1tter- I could name a few others, though..

Good luck to him. He isn't (intentionally) harming anyone. If people don't want to attend his shows, talks, view him on TV, listen to him on the radio, or read his books, they have the irrefutable choice not to do so.. But, personally, I like the guy.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭poster

John Edward and Colin Fry are coming to the Helix this year too and a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭karynp

wouldnt bother with mr fry personally,saw him before and was totally put off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

that's fairly interesting that John Edward is coming to Dublin, very compassionate medium with great programmes and books.

Surprised at the cost though, between 65-85 euro. I know his galleries are expensive but the Mahony Hall is huge in comparison. He should do a few Irish dates so as to keep the travel cost down, I imagine he'd have no problem filling 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KITTIPP

what exactly happens during an evening of mediumship??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

KITTIPP wrote: »
    what exactly happens during an evening of mediumship??
    The person giving the demo (in this case Gordon Smith) stands on stage and talks. They give details of a person in spirit they are communicating with, such as description age and method of death, name, and relationship to the person in the audience they have 'come' to talk with. Some mediums immediately know which person they are with in the audience and go directly to them. Some throw it out to the whole audience and those who relate to the info put their hands up. Based on the info coming from spirit these people are then whittled down to the correct person. (Personally I prefer it when the info is specific enough to have only one audience member take it)

Once the link is established thus, the communicator gives more information through the medium to confirm who they are, and usually pass on a message.

Sometimes its mediocre, sometimes its stunning to watch. There are no bells or whistles or music or bands, just the medium talking. Youd imagine it would be boring, but its not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭LCDeelite

I have only attended one of these 'evenings of mediumship' once- last year, when Derek Ogilvie came to Cork's Everyman Palace.

Firstly, I went because I was intrigued to witness it for myself (have only ever seen it on YouTube or it being recounted in books). Secondly, it was convenient to go to it instead of, say, heading all the way up to Dublin or wherever. I mean, I would go to the trouble of going up there and forking out money for everything- bearing in mind the possibility that it would all be a farce (oh well, I s'pose I could laugh about it anyway!), only to have to roll on home again. Then again, it's sort of similar to taking a chance in going to a gig. Before you go, you're expecting said musical act to 'play the hits' and to basically not be sh*te.

Anyway, I managed to cajole my pathologically (uh-oh, here comes the 's' word! :eek:) skeptical and cynical sister into attending Ogilvie's 'gig' last year. Honest to God, she makes the likes of Derren Brown/Will Storr/James Randi look like astrally projected Spiritualists conducting Reiki at Doris Stokes' gaff. :pac: So I was thinking, (A) "Right, I can painfully behold her poker face for another year or so if Ogilvie f*cks this up royally" and (B) "Death 2 the poker face if Ogilvie has more hits than misses!". LOL. Well, BOTH OF US were equally impressed by what he did on the night. Although I had such a laugh when I overheard this guy say afterwards: "All da spirits are in da pub tonigh'!"! :D

Myself and the sister were careful to spot if people in the audience looked as though they had been 'handpicked' beforehand, or anything else similarly suspicious. In fairness, it didn't look like it was orchestrated to me- and not because I was so bloody desperate to 'believe'. I mean, I recall one man being told by Ogilvie that he had been experiencing pain in his left testicle while urinating or trying to shag the wife, etc lately! :pac: The look of horror on the fella's face (he was as red as a Cork hurling jersey) was not rehearsed. He looked mortified. Well, he (man with testicle prob) said it was true anyway.

There was another instance where we saw Ogilvie elaborating on info to a girl who had acknowledged it being relevant to her. Ogilvie suddenly switched to the guy beside her (her boyfriend), asking him if he had been waking up at around 1a.m. for the past six months or so. The guy (looking very shocked) said "Yeah". Then Ogilvie said that it was his grandfather "Padraigh" (the guy acknowledged that name to be correct- this was the first name uttered, no prompting/questioning for/by Ogilvie), waking him up each time. Then Ogilvie went on to say that the headboard on their bed (the girl&her boyf's) had been broken for several weeks but that they had been been procrastinating in getting a new one. Myself and my sisters are not f*king eejits and we could plainly see that the reaction of the girl and her boyf were not 'acted'. They were what you would call ordinary (I hate categorising people into 'classes', but for the sake of this..), working class young people out for the night for a laugh.

Lastly, he correctly said that a woman had a tree knocked down in her front garden in front of her living room window and also that a male child she had miscarried 15 years before then (last year, like) was with her in spirit. He added the name of the child for whom the woman had intended ("Conor'). All of those details were spot on, judging by the woman's reaction. We didn't get any 'spirits calling'(!) that night- probably because there's no-one dead belonged to us that we really give a sh1t about or, indeed, wanted to contact, etc. We had only headed along for the entertainment aspect of it.

Lastly, a girl I worked with said that some friends of hers had been roped into attending the show at the very last minute as they were just walking past the venue. Minutes before it started, this woman (a rep of Ogilvie's or Everyman Palace employee, I guess), approached them with some free tickets. I'd say they were keen to fill the remaining seats, regardless of remuneration at that late stage. Anyway, they said, "Yeah, why not?" and they happened to be among the people who received accurate messages from their deceased relatives through Ogilvie that night. Obviously, myself and my sister wouldn't have known who they were so we wouldn't have taken any notice. That last point just proves that my work colleague's friends were not actors or 'set up' and they managed to receive messages they felt were accurate and relevant.

Ogilvie did get some things wrong, though. He would come out with information, some poor soul (living, like!) would put up their hand hopefully and he would be like, "No, that's not for you. This woman says blahblahblah and I don't think that's you". In fairness, he didn't waste time flogging dead horses when he realised he was making a few blunders like that. But, overall, myself and the skeptical sis were actually very impressed. "Surely to God there's something else out there? There must be something else out there", said my sister as we were walking down Patrick's Bridge afterwards... So, death 2 the poker face for the time being! :pac:

Sorry, I got off the subject of Gordon Smith a bit.. :-/ GORDON GORDON GORDON HELIX GORDAN YEAH!!

Advertisement