Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise at Solstice

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

THis saturday is the Summer Solstice and I'm going to a local archaeological site for dawn. Met Eireann says that sunrise is 4.58am which seems very late. Another site had dawn at 4.16am. Basically if I wanted to arrived at the site in darkness and watch as it got brighter and brighter how early would I have to be there at? I'm confused because I've woken up before 4am the last few mornings and it's been bright enough. The site is in north Meath, on the Cavan border.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To give you a simple answer - sunrise is when the sun actually comes over the horizon - dawn (i.e. daylight) would occur perhaps anything up to an hour before the actual sunrise.

There are technical parameters defining both of these (which I don't know off hand!).

Good explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunrise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Thanks. I suppose it's Dawn then that I'm looking for. So If I was there at 3.50am I should be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Dawn is where the sun pops just over the horizon while twilight can be observed up to 3hrs before sunrise and after sunset in Ireland in the height of summer.
    In other words complete and total darkness only occurs for less than an hour on the longest day.

My sunrise atm in Dublin (18th) is at 0455 so i expect it to be 0445 by the 21st and maybe 0440 in Cavan as its a bit further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Snowbie wrote: »
    Dawn is where the sun pops just over the horizon while twilight can be observed up to 3hrs before sunrise and after sunset in Ireland in the height of summer.
    In other words complete and total darkness only occurs for less than an hour on the longest day.

My sunrise atm in Dublin (18th) is at 0455 so i expect it to be 0445 by the 21st and maybe 0440 in Cavan as its a bit further north.

Thanks. Think I'll aim to be up at the site for about an hour before sunrise. I know it won't get completely dark that night. Will be a very early start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

My sunrise is 0504 here for the 18th, Being 65 miles SW makes some difference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Try downloading this excellent screensaver:
    http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/tools_services/screensaver.html

Once installed, it will show realtime sunrise/sunset data that is updated ever 5 mins.

Snapshot:

screensaver_516x99.jpg

It will give you a good idea of sunrise/sunset times not only on a local level, but on a global one aswell. :)

ps. when and if you do install, make sure that you click on "real time" when finishing installation.

Advertisement