We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

If there was a film about Irish mythology...

Registered Users Posts: 854 JangoFett

If there was a film about Irish mythology...what story would you pick and who would you cast?

I'd pick the story of Fionn and the Fianna

Gerard Butler as Fionn, but he wouldn't be all naked and muscle bulging all the time, he's a good actor and looks the part

Sadbh would be played by and Irish actress, I'd go hunting cuz no female actress who isn't Irish has done our accent justice!!

I'd cast Colin Farrell as one of the Fianna and Liam Neeson as an older member

Introduce Oisín at the end of it

Comments

The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Grainne, with Sean Connery as the elderly Fionn. Hannah Spearritt from Primeval would suit how I imagine Grainne. For Diarmuid and Aengus we'd need two very handsome young men, and I'll defer casting them to someone whose tastes run in that direction.

I'm very fond of both the Táin and the Battle of Mag Tuired, but both would need a lot of work to turn them into plots that would suit a modern film.

I would do a whole trilogy of an Tain. An epic trilogy though with each film about three hours long, to properly tell the story.

You could start with the curse of macha, the birth of setanta, his training and eventually the events which lead to his name cu chullainn. The first film would introduce all the important characters like ferdia etc and be based around the boy setanta becoming cu chullainn

The second film would tell the story of the argument between meadb and Ailil and the gathering of her army and the march to ulster all the time being attacked by cu chullainn

The last film would tell the story of the climactic battle, the battle between ferdia and cu chullainn, the death of cu chullainn and the battle between findbennach and the donn.

Aw man what a deadly trilogy that would be.

I would cast an unknown as cu chullainn
    Colin Farrell as ferdia
    dunno who else.:cool:

I'll not go into how I'd do it, because I'm gearing up to do it as a webcomic and I don't want to spoil my own thunder. But I wouldn't do it like that...

http://paddybrown.co.uk

For my film studies exam lads we had to watch an hour long animated film on Irish mythology and more specifically the nightmares high king of Tara. It was a locally made film, I will see if I can try to get a hold of it. I do know the fella who produced it was a Derry man called Marty Malarkey.

I'll not go into how I'd do it, because I'm gearing up to do it as a webcomic and I don't want to spoil my own thunder. But I wouldn't do it like that...

http://paddybrown.co.uk

That's fairly cool, good job

Yeah patrick your stuff is lookin good. great drawing style.

But please... for the love of god and all things irish, dont use the name Finn McCool. ;)

The story of Breogán coming to Ireland.

I think Brendan Gleeson or Liam Neeson would be ideal for the role.

It's on the go....writer/director Paul Bolger is co-producing it with UK based BreakThru Films. It is at script stage. There was mention of it and a concept image in Film Ireland magazine recently...
    I would do a whole trilogy of an Tain. An epic trilogy though with each film about three hours long, to properly tell the story.

You could start with the curse of macha, the birth of setanta, his training and eventually the events which lead to his name cu chullainn. The first film would introduce all the important characters like ferdia etc and be based around the boy setanta becoming cu chullainn

The second film would tell the story of the argument between meadb and Ailil and the gathering of her army and the march to ulster all the time being attacked by cu chullainn

The last film would tell the story of the climactic battle, the battle between ferdia and cu chullainn, the death of cu chullainn and the battle between findbennach and the donn.

Colin Farrell as ferdia

I can see a 300 version of a lot of these stories but more spiritual/Celtic feeling would be a real goer for cinema audiences. The stories themselves are very powerful.
    For epicness the story of Brian Boru and showdown on Clontarf is hard to beat.

Well, epicness, I think would be the Fianna, and the Battle at the White Strand against the King of the World and his allies. Really got into that story while reading it, and just the two men left able to stand at the end of it was brilliant, I thought, particularly some of the descriptions and comparisons of the battle, some of the atmosphere created, and the depiction of some of the horror of the battle, as well as the manly honourable bits.

For anyone interested, I came across the brilliant short film earlier, it's called The Fomorian. Well worth a watch.

Very high quality version here - http://www.theformorian.com/

Colin Farrell?

Long ago there lived a king called Lir. He lived with his wife and four children: Fionnuala, Aodh, Fiachra and Conn. They lived in a castle in the middle of a forest. When Lir's wife died they were all very sad. After a few years Lir got married again. He married a jealous wife called Aoife.

Aoife thought that Lir loved his children more than he loved her. Aoife hated the children. Soon she thought of a plan to get rid of the children.

One summer's day Aoife took the children to swim in a lake near the castle. The children were really happy to be playing in the water. Suddenly Aoife took out a magic wand. There was a flash of light and the children were nowhere to be seen. All there was to be seen was four beautiful swans, with their feathers as white as snow.

Aoife said, "I have put you under a spell. You will be swans for nine hundred years," she cackled. "You will spend three hundred years in Lough Derravaragh, three hundred years in the Sea of Moyle and three hundred years in the waters of Inish Glora," Aoife said. She also said, "You will remain swans for nine hundred years until you hear the ring of a Christian bell."

She went back to the castle and told Lir that his children had drowned. Lir was so sad he started crying. He rushed down to the lake and saw no children. He saw only four beautiful swans.

One of them spoke to him. It was Fionnuala who spoke to him. She told him what Aoife had done to them. Lir got very angry and turned Aoife into an ugly moth. When Lir died the children were very sad. When the time came they moved to the Sea of Moyle.

Soon the time came for their final journey. When they reached Inish Glora they were very tired. Early one morning they heard the sound of a Christian bell. They were so happy that they were human again. The monk (some even say it was St. Patrick himself) sprinkled holy water on them and then Fionnuala put her arms around her brothers and then the four of them fell on the ground. The monk buried them in one grave. That night he dreamed he saw four swans flying up through the clouds. He knew the children of Lir were with their mother and father.

Sean Connery as King Lir - Vanessa Redgrave as the first Wife - Victoria Smurfit as his New Wife :) - and then any old kids from stage school as the 'Children of Lir' - with Ardel O'Hanlon playing the part of the Monk? (Swans courtesy of Dublin Zoo).

"TheTain" wins hands down.

The Tain is the oldest written tale of adventure in Europe north of the Alps.

The, already ancient, tale was written down by Irish monks a century before the (Irish educated) English monks wrote down their own great English adventure epic: "Beowolf".

The Tain gives an insight into Iron Age European society BEFORE the Romans poured across the Alps to civilize us blue-eyed barbarians.

It's like eavesdropping on 500 BC.

I'm amazed that a major feature film has never been made of it.

I think the reason nobody's ever made a film of it is (a) it's not that well known outside Ireland except among language scholars, and (b) stylistically and narratively it's all over the place. It's got brilliant characters, some of its episodes are outstanding, but as a coherent story it struggles to hold together, and it would take a screenwriter a lot of work to make a script out of it.

I'm not a filmmaker, but I've done the work. My adaptation of the Táin as a webcomic, The Cattle Raid of Cooley, appears every Wednesday at http://paddybrown.co.uk. Check it out.

I think the reason nobody's ever made a film of it is (a) it's not that well known outside Ireland except among language scholars, and (b) stylistically and narratively it's all over the place. It's got brilliant characters, some of its episodes are outstanding, but as a coherent story it struggles to hold together, and it would take a screenwriter a lot of work to make a script out of it.

I'm not a filmmaker, but I've done the work. My adaptation of the Táin as a webcomic, The Cattle Raid of Cooley, appears every Wednesday at http://paddybrown.co.uk. Check it out.

Must have a look at your website Patrick.

Hollywood has never claimed to reflect "history".

"The Right Stuff" is not the history of the Space Race and "Reds" sure is not the history of the Bolshevik Revolution.

So only stuffy scholars would expect a film version of The Tain to mirror the story exactly.

Hollywood's motto is "If the Myth differs from the Truth.. film the Myth."

There is a lot in the Tain which would make a blockbuster.

P.S:
    Excerpt from the original Tain and nice portrait of the leading lady here:

http://www.banknotes.com/ie70.htm

Colin Farrell as ferdia

i think its time to email peter jackson

Pgibson wrote: »
    Must have a look at your website Patrick.

Hollywood has never claimed to reflect "history".

"The Right Stuff" is not the history of the Space Race and "Reds" sure is not the history of the Bolshevik Revolution.

So only stuffy scholars would expect a film version of The Tain to mirror the story exactly.

Hollywood's motto is "If the Myth differs from the Truth.. film the Myth."

There is a lot in the Tain which would make a blockbuster.

Not sure what you're arguing with there - to follow the story exactly would make a very bad film, because the original is such a mess. The material is good, the characters are fantastic, but it would be hard work to adapt, and since it's not so well known and doesn't bring an automatic worldwide audience, Hollywood isn't likely to want to put the work in. They prefer the easy way, which is why "historical" films are always so inaccurate.

Audiences are the same. You'll not get them to commit to a trilogy unless they already know and like the material (eg Lord of the Rings) or you make a stand-alone first installment that's so good they'll come back for more (eg Star Wars).

So what's the alternative? Read the webcomic and you'll see ;)

do any of the novelisations go halfway towards a film?

It would be great to see Cuchullains image to be based on Slaine.

Slaine.jpg

I'm sure they could adapt it to fit the line ' THIS - IS - EIREAAAAAAA! ' into it somewhere.

I have thought of this before, however its the whole size of ireland/key demographic thing. In a lot of irish myths it isn't happy happy at the end, ie main hero + best friend DIE, evil death goddess wins, evil queen only pushed back etc

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I'm sure they could adapt it to fit the line ' THIS - IS - EIREAAAAAAA! ' into it somewhere.

I have to admit this made me chuckle :D

I envision it something like this ...

"Cows and water, a token of Leinsters submission to the will of The Queen'

"Cows and water.. you'll find plenty of both down there *nods to pile of shyte*

*exchange dodgy looks with other people*

"You cannot threaten a messenger !!! "

"You want come here to steal out wimmenz and rape our cows, you threaten our farmers with industrialisation and death..."

"This is madness !!!'"

"Congratulations, THIS IS EIREAAAAAA !"

*kicks messenger into pile of cow dung*

Said in a mock Oirish/Scottish accent: You can take our cows, but you will never take our mealworms.

WindSock wrote: »
    Said in a mock Oirish/Scottish accent: You can take our cows, but you will never take our mealworms.

Naw.

Has to be the Aran Islands Accent...

Dublin, Cork, Galway City, Limerick,Belfast etc. accents are too ugly.

Imagine Gerry Adams being Cu Chulainn. Yuk.

Ailill and Medb can have western accents, but Cú Chulainn's an Ulsterman. He has to have a northern accent. But he wouldn't sound like Gerry Adams, who talks like no-one else on earth.

Ailill and Medb can have western accents, but Cú Chulainn's an Ulsterman. He has to have a northern accent. But he wouldn't sound like Gerry Adams, who talks like no-one else on earth.

Two modern day Irish equivalent leaders would be the Connacht leader Mary Robinson and the Ulster leader Ian Paisley.

We could have Medb speaking like Mary Robinson shouting “Mna Na H’Eireann Abu” in her Connacht accent.

And we can have Cu Chulainn shouting “Ulster Will Fight” and “No Surrender” in Ian Paisley’s Ulster accent.

Why didn’t I think of it before?

Pgibson wrote: »
    And we can have Cu Chulainn shouting “Ulster Will Fight” and “No Surrender” in Ian Paisley’s Ulster accent.

And shouting "Lundy!" at Fergus.

In your opinions should the potential film (Fionn agus na Fianna / Táin Bó Cúailnge, Clann Lir srl ) be made in Irish?
    Instead of English with an Irish accent.
    For proper authenticity.

That's really good.

Have you seen this comic about the Táin from Cló Mhaigh Eo:

http://www.leabhar.com/tain.htm

Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Gráinne:

http://www.leabhar.com/Toraiocht.htm

An Teachtaire (Naomh Phádraig) .i. Pádraig mac Calprainn

http://www.leabhar.com/teachtaire.htm

Society & Culture