Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Etrex H GPS

Options
  • 18-06-2008 9:58am

Hi

Anyone used this new model, supposed to be more sensitive than the standard Etrex.

Is it worth buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're much more sensitive than the non-H versions. I have an etrex Vista HCx and I can even get a fix indoors with it sometimes. It has no problems at all maintaining a fix even under heavy wet tree cover. Very impressed with it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

That's not bad at all then Alan - Saw the Etrex H over in 53 degrees this evening for about €175 (with discount)....

Hell of a lot cheaper than my old Magellan 310, which is now very long in the tooth (10 years old now I guess), and still fully operational. I can't kill it, despite my best efforts :rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for the excuse to justify replacing it with a new unit with high sensitivity and maps etc. Glad to hear the high sensitivity units are proving their worth with respectable GPS afficianados such as yourself.

BTW - Drop me a line regarding that article I mentioned before if you get a chance ;)

Ta,

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    That's not bad at all then Alan - Saw the Etrex H over in 53 degrees this evening for about €175 (with discount)....
    You can get it for much, much less than that (almost half!) on the net!
    Glad to hear the high sensitivity units are proving their worth with respectable GPS aficionados such as yourself.
    They've not been without their teething problems though. There were some serious problems with the odometer functionality in the beginning which seem to have been ironed out with firmware updates, although one or two people still seem to be having a peculiar problem with the position slowly 'drifting' off when in bad reception conditions and requiring a reset to get it back on track. I've seen this behaviour once on my wife's Venture HC, but have never experienced it myself on my unit.
    BTW - Drop me a line regarding that article I mentioned before if you get a chance ;)
    Will do .. I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'll get back to you next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The great outdoors was having a sale of various GPS systems a week or two back. Some reduced by 50% - I was very tempted to break my GPS cherry but in the end decided I really need a new bike more.

I don't know if any of your models where on sale but you never know.

Advertisement