Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retransmitting broadband by wireless question

Options
  • 18-06-2008 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Very briefly, my sister has broadband at home with Digiweb (6Mb down and 512k up)

She wants to use the same connection at her place of work (family business) but its probably about 4 or 5 miles as the crow flies

She has direct line of sight to the general area. The broadband in use at the works is at the moment giving about 5-700kb down and about 40-100 up depending on times of day etc.

Is it going to be hugely expensive to transmit the signal to the works or is it even worth her while? There is no reselling etc involved here and the reason for doing this is because the works cannot avail of the other service because of where it is located. In actual fact, the house broadband is about €35 a month and the works is about €80-90 per month and comes nowhere near the quality of the other one.

Even if somebody could point me to a few links, I am more than happy to read up and learn myself. I'm not looking to be spoon fed. The only problem is, I have had a quick look around here and anything I see mentioning point to point is directing to websites that sell the stuff, which is all very fine when you know what you need!! A few pointers as to what db antenna is required etc and anything else relevant would be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

whisht wrote: »
    Very briefly, my sister has broadband at home with Digiweb (6Mb down and 512k up)

She wants to use the same connection at her place of work (family business) but its probably about 4 or 5 miles as the crow flies

She has direct line of sight to the general area. The broadband in use at the works is at the moment giving about 5-700kb down and about 40-100 up depending on times of day etc.

Is it going to be hugely expensive to transmit the signal to the works or is it even worth her while? There is no reselling etc involved here and the reason for doing this is because the works cannot avail of the other service because of where it is located. In actual fact, the house broadband is about €35 a month and the works is about €80-90 per month and comes nowhere near the quality of the other one.

Even if somebody could point me to a few links, I am more than happy to read up and learn myself. I'm not looking to be spoon fed. The only problem is, I have had a quick look around here and anything I see mentioning point to point is directing to websites that sell the stuff, which is all very fine when you know what you need!! A few pointers as to what db antenna is required etc and anything else relevant would be much appreciated

Wimax can reach that far, and if she uses 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz she won't need a telecoms licence. I can't find any price quotes, but this isn't exactly consumer equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiMAX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Thanks very much for the reply. I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Its not exactly consumer equipment. That was what I was unsure of. I know smaller distances can be done for relatively small money but I think cost is going to be a prohibitive factor here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi there,

We actually provide and istall Wimax links that go up to 30Km. They are on the 5Ghz frequency which does not require a licence. They can be point to point or point to multipont connections.

The brand we use are a tried and tested company. Designed by Alvarion in Isreal. these links go from 14MB (which would be more than enough for your needs) up to 108MB which will give you a connection as good as wired.

If you would like pricing please feel free to PM me or go to our under construction website for mobile numbers www.fusionnetworks.ie

btw this equipment isnt that expensive until you get to the higher end scale. if this product is out of the pric bracket Ill be able to point you in the right direction for cheaper equipment too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi there,

We actually provide and istall Wimax links that go up to 30Km. They are on the 5Ghz frequency which does not require a licence. They can be point to point or point to multipont connections.

The brand we use are a tried and tested company. Designed by an Alvarion in Isreal. these links go from 14MB (which would be more than enough for your needs) up to 108MB which will give you a connection as good as wired.

If you would like pricing please feel free to PM me or go to our under construction website for mobile numbers www.fusionnetworks.ie

That website does not inspire confidence, given it's a single page and yet still manages to contain spelling mistakes and a degree of random capitalization that only a German could appreciate.

Out of curiousity though and given there's a distinct lack of price of guides for Wimax, some ballpark quotes would be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I was just thinking the same thoughts spear, the website design is woeful - doesn't even render correctly using Firefox 3. Looks like something someone hobbled together on the train in a rush using Dreamweaver.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same thoughts spear, the website design is woeful - doesn't even render correctly using Firefox 3. Looks like something someone hobbled together on the train in a rush using Dreamweaver.

Renders the same for me in FF3 and IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

whisht wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the reply. I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Its not exactly consumer equipment. That was what I was unsure of. I know smaller distances can be done for relatively small money but I think cost is going to be a prohibitive factor here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Getting back to the link needed ... not as well built as Alvarion but these do ok gear

http://wirelessconnect.eu/store/

http://www.wi-pipe.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Spear wrote:
    That website does not inspire confidence, given it's a single page and yet still manages to contain spelling mistakes and a degree of random capitalization that only a German could appreciate.

Out of curiousity though and given there's a distinct lack of price of guides for Wimax, some ballpark quotes would be of interest

That'd be the under construction Ted.... tis more important the fact he does quality work instead of some lads having a shiny site , doing sh1te

bushy... wrote: »
    That'd be the under construction Ted.... tis more important the fact he does quality work instead of some lads having a shiny site , doing sh1te

Those quotes are in reverse order timewise.

Hello All,

Id rather as bushy says be judged on my work as an installer of ICT equipment than my ability to put up a splash page so people wont get a dead link. As bushy also says the UNDER CONSTRUCTION part should spell it out for people that it is currently with a web design firm but untill thats ready In July, I put that page up in a rush as I work 12 hour days installing systems and find its a little hard to be a web designer, a network engineer, an accountant and all the other things I have to do as a self employed person.

I asked the original poster to go on the site to get my mobile number as if you use this for actually helping people out instead of slagging people off you will know the mods do not like mobile numbers being posted.

I spend hours on here every week helping people for no financial gain, I dont need to listen to childish nerd talk about it"s not loading in Firefox", thats not my problem thats up to the design firm to test when the proper site is live.

Do me a favour, go back in Thirty days and then be critical, until then read the site and look at the part that says its under construction. Also just so you know f you were actually web literate you'd see that the page was designed with a suite called "site studio" which is a free tool when you host a site with register.ie.

And though the site may be ****e until July, Im still number one in the google search for the words I want, cant be that much of an idiot!!! And just so you know guys the spelling mistakes are due to a stupid wireless keyboard which is wrecking my head , its missing keystrokes like the new time!!

If you want price guides PM me, Id be more than happy to help anyone out. ALso I think D-link do a cheaper point to point unit, might be work looking into.

BUSHY, thanks for the links, glad to see you like to help people out too, good karma and all that!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Well I didn't want this to turn into a row or argument!
    Anyway, thanks to all who have given their input. Will read up on what is needed etc but it really seems to me that its going to be a cost prohibitive exercise. I had heard about stories of people maybe spending 100-200 euros and redirecting wifi signals, but thats obviously for smaller distances than we are talking here.

Also, in the meantime, I mapped both spots on Google maps today and its bang on 6 miles as the crow flies! Maybe for supplying a small community etc it would be feasible, but not just to have faster access while at work.

Might contact you anyway Eoghan and get a ballpark figure to either rule it in or out

No bother, remember advice and information is always free so please always ask. If I dont know whats best I will always try and point you in the right direction. Thanks for the question though, a good debate is always a bit of craic, once people can stay on topic!!!!

Best of luck whisht..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Hi there,

The brand we use are a tried and tested company. Designed by Alvarion in Isreal. these links go from 14MB (which would be more than enough for your needs) up to 108MB which will give you a connection as good as wired.

btw this equipment isnt that expensive until you get to the higher end scale. if this product is out of the pric bracket Ill be able to point you in the right direction for cheaper equipment too.
    >>>>>>
    Wimax Imagine Broadband Coming Soon the telephone sales guy said today its coming before Christmas 2008 or by April 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Spear wrote: »

Out of curiousity though and given there's a distinct lack of price of guides for Wimax, some ballpark quotes would be of interest.
    >>>>>>
    Thats why all the jobs are going abroad First Impressions really count:)
    I agree.

Advertisement