Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up SQL Server on Windows Server 2003

Options
  • 17-06-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just put Windows Server 2003 on a PC I had lying around there for a while.

I would like to install a version of SQL Server on it so I can use it to serve databases to which I can connect to when using Visual Studio on another computer on the network.

Wil SQL Server 2005 Express work on Server 2003 or do I need full edition.

Main Question: How exactly do I go about installing SQL Server and adding a database that I want to serve out on it? I cant find any simple guides..:o

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

you can certainly install sql 2000 msde or even better sql 2005 express, both are free and fully supported on windows 2003. 2005 express is better than the 2000 msde as it you also download the managment studio which will allow you to manage the express install via a GUI. are you lloking to create new databases or attach copies of databases you already have from another server?

btw, just be aware on express 4gb is the max database size and its 2gb on sql2000 msde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dont install MSDE!!!! Please for your sanities sake.. Also on 2003 server you need a minimum of SQL Server SP2 or MSDE SP2 to run. Otherwise it will not respond on

It doesnt come with an GUI so you have to download one and its a pain in the ass to work with.

Install SQL 2005 Express edition. Get the advanced services version with SP2 as a just in case.

With SQL 2005 you will need to enable TCP/IP otherwise you wont be able to connect from the network. This is the most usual problem. Also as Windows Auth is enabled by default make sure you add yourself as a user with the neccesary permissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ginger wrote: »
    Dont install MSDE!!!! Please for your sanities sake.
    Agreed. If you need a small version of SQL server for anything, install the express edition. The MSDE was developed more for use by people developing MSSQL apps, not for actually running production applications on.
    SQL 2005 Express isn't exactly "enterprise" software, but it's much more friendly for running production applications.

If you are doing some development with MS Stuff maybe have a look at the MS Action Pack if you dont have it already. It comes with 10 CALs for SQL 2005 Standard edition

Also MSDN licencing allows access to SQL 2005 Development edition which is the enterprise edition with different licencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok,
    So I have SQL Server 2005 express and SQL server 2005 express with advanced services..(Can i install this instead of normal server for extra features?) and SQL server tool kit and management studio..

Also I have SQL server 2005 full edition..

Will the full edition be too advanced for me?

I installed the express edition but I could connect to/serve a database(didn't know what I was doing) so uninstalled it.

What is the easiest option to server databases on my server that I can connect to using Visual Studio on another computer?

Thanks for the replies guys..

• Advertisement

Do you need Analysis services.. If not just install the express edition with advanced services as this will give you SRSS (reporting services) ..

Easiest thing is that really as its cost friendly :)

yea thats what i'm thinking alright..Do I just install version with adv services and then management studio after?

Is management studio what lets me add a database to be served?

Should I be aware of anything while trying to connect to the db across a local network?

you can create databases from your client machine using visual studio or the management tools. They should be part of the server install. If they arent install them yourself. Only thing you need to make sure of is to enable tcp in the sql server configuration once the server is installed. Its a seperate tool that comes with it.
    Posted vias Mobile Device

Thats great, i'm installing it now and selected to install manageent studio..

Sure i'll have a gander on google on how to get it working. I'll be back if i've any problems..thanks guys!

ok well here's my first problem.

I have attatched a database using management studio on the server. I cannot access the database or even see the server in visual studio on the server. I have enabled tcp like i was told to.

I know there is a valid connection between client and server beacuse I am using the client to access the desktop of server.

Also any guides i come across seem to be really advanced. I wonder is there any really basic ones that just give you a feel for the control and how things generally work.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Welcome to windows security and SQL server.

Make sure you have DBA access to your server and that you have rights on the db you attached.

How do I set DBA access? I've tried to set rights but can't do that either..so frustrated. Would it be easier just to run it on the same computer as I will be programming on with Visual Studio?

Can you recommend a book that will teach me all the things I am asking here??

Thanks.

Book.. try my sig for the 2005 resources.

Ok

On the Windows 2003, fire up the management studio.

Go to Security and add your Windows Login and give yourself sysadmin rights. This is a very powerful role but allows you to do practically everything.

Check your permissions and on the database that you added give yourself DBO rights. Again top level permissions.

Once your login has being added, reconnect from your client machine you should be able to do some more stuff.

Also take a look at this article

OK well I am now able to add the SQL server to the server explorer in Visual Studio.

When I go to:
    Tools -> Connect to database -> connect to SQL server..
    I select the server enter my password.

In the select or enter Db name nothing appears..

And when I go to attach a database I get the following error about:

Named Pipes Provider:40 - could not open a connection to SQL server..

Thanks for your help so far..

I know I should probably just run it locally on my system but that would feel like im giving in to it(can't have that!)..I must do it across a lan.

Have a look at this blog

It goes through everything you will probably need in relation to connectivity.

Have fun!!! The main thing is that is all part of the learning process and understanding SQL Server! Honest :D

Advertisement