Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you support the introduction of feet on seats fine?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Last few journeys I have taken on the DART I have noticed the amount of people who lash their feet up on the seats and don't give a damn about the next person who has to sit on them. I know in certain areas of the UK there is on the spot fines issued, I think CIE should setup a similar system for the DART.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I thought they already had fines for this. If I want to have my feet on the seat in front I would normally protect the seat with the Metro or any of the other free rags that are handed out.

Funny story, back in the days of travelling to school in AEC Railcars, a mate of mine had his feet up on the seat in front of him. An old woman across the carriage said to him, you wouldn't do that at home would you, his reply to that, "mam, I don't live in a fu***in train".

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I thought they already had fines for this. If I want to have my feet on the seat in front I would normally protect the seat with the Metro or any of the other free rags that are handed out.

Funny story, back in the days of travelling to school in AEC Railcars, a mate of mine had his feet up on the seat in front of him. An old woman across the carriage said to him, you wouldn't do that at home would you, his reply to that, "mam, I don't live in a fu***in train".

Excellent

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Your mate said F**k to an old woman? That's pure muck, man.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Your mate said F**k to an old woman? That's pure muck, man.
    She walked into it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

What's wrong with feet on seats? As public transport is my exclusive means of getting around I can say that I've never dirtied my posterior to any noticeable degree by sitting on a seat that was previously occupied by someone's feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Slice wrote: »
    What's wrong with feet on seats? As public transport is my exclusive means of getting around I can say that I've never dirtied my posterior to any noticeable degree by sitting on a seat that was previously occupied by someone's feet.

I think its good manners. You could at least put a metro on the seat before you put your feet on it. I would see no problem with that. The issue though, is people putting their feet on seats when other people are looking to sit down. Its a similar situation with bags on seats.

I cannot see anything wrong with having feet up on the seat infront provided there is something protecting the seat like a newspaper or jacket and that no one else wants to use it. If I.R want to stop this problem they should have all the seats pointing in one direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It doesn't really bother me unless people have really mucky shoes.

And it usually tends to be cat lady types that pull people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would send the dirty, no mannered feckers to jail for a week never mind a fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I think its good manners. You could at least put a metro on the seat before you put your feet on it. I would see no problem with that. The issue though, is people putting their feet on seats when other people are looking to sit down. Its a similar situation with bags on seats.

Well those people are just plain ignorant if other people are left standing. Which is why I just barge myself onto the seat regardless...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think it's a bit much!
    I'd put my feet up on a seat if there was no one sitting next to or across from me.
    I have done in the past.
    I'd never deprive someone of a seat just to put my feet up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yes, I'd like to see fines, penalties and general micro-management for every aspect of our lives so that I don't need to rely on things like common sense, self respect, knowing right from wrong or having respect for other people's property.
    I don't need to know why something is wrong, just that I may get fined for doing it.

Advertisement