Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok: what steps do I need to take to get braces? I'm in my 20s.

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Being a complete ignoramus about dental procedures, I am not sure where to start. I haven't been to a dentist in years, and my teeth, as you can imagine, would not exactly qualify for a Colgate ad.

I do not want to have to wait a hundred years, and I am not adamant about getting the cheapest braces possible - I just want to get it done, and done properly.

Where should I start looking? What options are available to me?

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Cellar_Door

Bump, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

I am not adamant about getting the cheapest braces possible - I just want to get it done, and done properly

well that attitude is a good start. getting your teeth straightened can be a long process and it's important to have an orthodontist you like and makes you feel well cared for.
    the first thing to do is see a good dentist(ask around) they need to make sure everything is good and healthy before you start any treatment. great gum health and excellent home cleaning is the very least you need to be doing before considering braces.
    Once you've seen a dentist and gotten everything healthy get them to refer you to the best orthodontist they can, be prepared to get a second opinion if your not fully satisfied defore starting on treatment. You'll be seeing the orthodontist on a regular basis, it makes it a lot easier for everyone if you get on well at some level.
    Bryan

Thank you, Bryan.

I currently have a medical card but I cannot help but believe that subsidised dentistry results in decreased quality care. Would I be better off, do you think, seeking a dentist who is not taking part in the medical card scheme?

I tried a few dentists who were on the scheme (I rang up the HSE and asked for a list of them) - but they are not taking new patients until September, which is far too long a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

i have no idea about the limits or not of the medical card scheme but, i would try and get a few friends, family etc. to tell you about any good dentists they know and then see if any are on your list.
    Bryan

It just annoys me to see the outcome of free medical care, including dentistry: people exploiting the system and parasitically consuming resources that could be used in a more equitable way under a free market based scheme. I know of scumbag druggies and all kinds of lowlife scum who are forever wasting doctor's time and resources looking for free medicine and treatment they don't need, ending up literally with bags of the stuff that they would not have if they had to pay for them.

/moan.

Anyway, I rang up a dentist, got an appointment, and hopefully will get a referral to a good orthodontist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement