Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Hard Drive - NAS

Options
  • 17-06-2008 4:43pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a Networked hard drive and am looking for some advice.
    I want to copy a good bit of stuff from a few other hard drives so would prob be looking @ 750GB or 1TB.
    I would like to be able to access it from a few different locations as well as on my wi-fi network @ home.
    Also leaving my i-tunes libary on it and pointing a few PC's to it (same wifi network)

I have been looking at the Western Digital My Book's @ around €200 and they seemed good however I noticed a couple of bad reviews so am a little unsure now.

What I would like to know is:

~ Would people recommend them?
    ~ Are they easy to set up / use (like just mapping a drive??...)
    ~ Any other options people use, would like to stay in the 200/300 Price bracket

Cheers

Mik

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

got a 500GB Buffalo linkstation live around a month ago for the same reasons as you and also cause i have a sonos music system and didn't want to have my computer on 24hrs to listen to music in different rooms. It has a print server and you can extend the storage by adding USB hard drives through one of the two usb ports on the back.

Remember thought that transfer rates are slow over 802.11g so use a wired compter transfer your stuff onto it but its perfect to streaming and doesn't heat up like other brands

my two cents:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Might consider one of these in the future: instead of lugging around an ever growing number of portable hard drives cross-atlantic I might just keep on of these hooked into my home network.

This sounds closer to what you want to do with it though: http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-StorCenter-Wireless-Network-Ethernet/dp/B000FDETQI/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers for the tips - the more I read about the WD My book the less I want it.
    The Buffalo looks like a good option - but is it easy/possible to access from the net remotley?

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i would also make sure that the switch in your router is greater than 10/100 as it's painfully slow to transfer large files. i was doing it before i got a router with a gigabit switch and the difference it makes is unreal.

Ah..... My router only has a 10/100 Switch, so I need a 10/100/1000 Switch.
    More shopping :)

What about these?
    Linksys Draft N Wless Gigab VPN Router
    D-Link 4 PORT 802.11N GIGABIT ROUTER

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Ah..... My router only has a 10/100 Switch, so I need a 10/100/1000 Switch.
    More shopping :)

What about these?
    Linksys Draft N Wless Gigab VPN Router
    D-Link 4 PORT 802.11N GIGABIT ROUTER

Cheers

its so easy to access and setup even over the web, honest to god no regrets in buying it but completely agree with the gigabit point to save time and hassle.
    I bought a d-link router recently and it drove me banana sandwich because it would constantly drop the network but when it worked it was great. I just got a netgear 802.11n router with gigabit and its been good so far. Picked it up for a 150 in pc world cause some routers just don't work and its a pain returning them online.
    Routers are probably the only thing i would advise anyone to buy in store:D

Cheers - that has made my mind up for me :)
    I'm might try the linksys router as i have one already and it's been faultless

Advertisement