Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc required with xp and vista?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Ok need to replace pc,

Have music software ( licenced!) on current harddrive amongst other stuff i would like to keep that i've long since lost the packaging and therefore keys for.

1. Can i purchase a PC with vista and then purchase a copy of XP and install it as a boot option from startup?

2. Will this,in practice, be very messy?

3. Will i be able to attach my old HDD to the new pc and use it in XP mode It is a sata drive.

I thank you in advance for any help or advice here!:confused:

This is the pc i am looking at with a few minor mods
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/cl.aspx?bn=11124

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

joeclif wrote: »
    1. Can i purchase a PC with vista and then purchase a copy of XP and install it as a boot option from startup?
    Yes. You'd be best off using a 2nd hard disk for the XP install, or partition the hard disk in the new rig into two, using one for Vista and one for XP. Since you have a 2nd disk already, that might be easiest.
    2. Will this,in practice, be very messy?
    Depends on how well you know what you're doing. I'm not sure if you should install XP or Vista first, someone else will surely say. Each installer will ask what drive to install to, so pick a different one for each. I have a feeling XP should be done first, then Vista afterwards.
    3. Will i be able to attach my old HDD to the new pc and use it in XP mode It is a sata drive.
    the old hard disk will be visible to Vista, and XP if you install that too. The programs installed on that disk may not run under either OS though. At install, most programs add info to the registry, as well as putting DLLs into Windows\system32, and other config files in Documents and Settings and so on. On a fresh OS, these will be missing, and the programs may not run, properly, or at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Thanks for the help!

I will have a go, worst case i can do a complete reinstall if i make a hames of it!!!

Advertisement