Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this necessary?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, a quick one for you.

I had an abscessed tooth about a year ago and the dentist at the time couldn't fully remove the tooth. He removed the nerve and and declared the tooth dead.

My current dentist tried again this morning to remove the root but despite 10 minutes of frantic activity on it he was unsuccessful. He wants to refer me to
    a dental surgeon.

My question is, is it necessary to get the root removed? If I don't, will it come back to bite me in the ass in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

They do tend to come back and bite you, while the tooth is dead(can't feel hot or cold) it is still a very likely route for or cause of infection.
    Infections usually kick in late on a Friday of bank holiday weekends!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

BryanL wrote: »
    Infections usually kick in late on a Friday of bank holiday weekends!;)

I would have said the Friday evening before Christmas just as any dentist who isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg is closing for 10 days.

OP, it is likely that it will get infected at some point. It was only when mine got infected I realised there was something wrong. Turns out it had been dead for up to 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Cheers guys for the responses.

Another question is:

Is the dead tooth anymore susceptible to infection opposed to healthy tooth?
    Or would they have the same degree of risk?

And another:

Anyone been to a orthodontist to get a root removed?
    How much and how long?

Advertisement