Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Agent Dissolved

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was hoping maybe someone here could shed some light on this matter for me, a few weeks back I received a letter from my management agent requesting additional funds due to an increase in maintenance fees. I found this quite amusing as in the same envelope was the minutes of the last AGM stating that they had voted to change refuse collection provider for a 'substansial financial saving' - obviously not passed on to us.

While this in itself is a slap in the face the real issue I have is that the management agent that is requesting these funds is no longer a trading entity, the CRO lists the company status as disolved from Nov 07. Surely it is illegal for a company that has ceased trading to be sending me demands for additional funds. This smacks of dodgy business to me.

Does anyone know if is possible to break a management company into smaller parts, I am living in an estate with small apartment blocks (6-8 units in each) and a large mix of houses. At the moment this is all covered by the one management company, is it possible to split off the apartment blocks into their own seperate management company?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I imagine that yes, it's possible, but also that it'd be costly and time consuming, and that you'd need 100% of the existing owners to sign new contracts and leases...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

At the moment this is all covered by the one management company, is it possible to split off the apartment blocks into their own seperate management company?

Yes it is possible to do this as long as you have backing of 100%. If you are living or in the Dublin 15 area tonight our estate is having a meeting about just this very thing. We want to get the houses out of the management company structure and just leave the apartments and tonights meeting is about how to go about that. I can PM you the details of the meeting if you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

gazzer wrote: »
    At the moment this is all covered by the one management company, is it possible to split off the apartment blocks into their own seperate management company?

Yes it is possible to do this as long as you have backing of 100%. If you are living or in the Dublin 15 area tonight our estate is having a meeting about just this very thing. We want to get the houses out of the management company structure and just leave the apartments and tonights meeting is about how to go about that. I can PM you the details of the meeting if you like?

Just out of interest why do you want to do this?

Can you legally do it? Just wondering as you might be in breach of Planning Permission if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

gazzer wrote: »

Have the council agreed to take the land around the houses in charge once the management company vests? Do the owners have control of the management company yet? (Both directorship and vesting of the land from the developer.) Will people living in the apartments have to pass over the vested land to get to the main road?

I'm not trying to be negative by the way, it's just that it could be very tricky. I'd be very interested in hearing how it went, fair play to you for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Have the council agreed to take the land around the houses in charge once the management company vests? Do the owners have control of the management company yet? (Both directorship and vesting of the land from the developer.)

Yes we finally got the council to agree to take the land around the houses in charge. Owners have control of the management company. This battle has been going on for 4 long years.

Will people living in the apartments have to pass over the vested land to get to the main road?

Our estate was built between 2 council estates. These estates were blocked off when our estate first opened. There is a main road going through it that was built and opened after we bought our houses. Similarly there was access opened to the 2 council estates AFTER we bought our houses (we never knew about this). Not only do we pass over the vested land to get to the main road, so do hundreds of school kids/parents, people going to the shops, hundreds of people from other estates. The estate is in no way private and the council cuts the grass literally 5 feet from my door but that is in a council estate and they wont come into our estate because it is a managed one.

Anyway we have argued for years that because our estate is in no way private (due to the massive amount of footfall from people who dont live in the estate) that we should not be expected to pay management fees. Most people signed up the management company and were not told that access to other estates would be provided OR that a main road would be going through the estate. Now I know that we should have checked out planning permission etc in the council but most of us didnt and now we pay the price.

The apartments have to have a mangement company because of the fact that there are duplexes on top of one bedroom apartments (though they all have their own front door and there is no comunal area).

The council have grudgingly agreed to take over some of the estate but we will also have to cut some of the grass ourselves (apart from the areas at the back of the apartment that are going to remain under the control of the management company.

• Advertisement
Advertisement