Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Oz emigration stuff

Options
  • 17-06-2008 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Was in Oz a good few years back, loved it and have been dying to get back ever since.
    Unfortunately, since my degree is not in the area I am working in - I don't qualify for skilled migration.
    I'm fairly skilled however, 7 years experience in telecoms/IT, and have seen plenty of jobs I could do on Aussie job sites.

Someone recommended to me going out on a tourist visa - which gives you three months there to find an employer to sponsor you.
    Most of the jobs I have seen specify that you must have the right to work in the location to apply - but some of them have been online for months - so they're obviously having problems filling them.
    Has anyone gone out on a tourist visa and then got sponsored? I'm thinking that an employer is a lot more likely to invest in the effort of sponsoring you if they can meet you face to face.

Any thoughts/experiences would be welcomed

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I just asked the same question on another thread, so I'm also eager to find out some more on this area. I too saw some jobs in my area, but wasn;t sure whether it was worth applying online or wait till I got there (if I go...)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

You cannot work in Oz while on a tourist visa, so I assume you mean the Working Holiday visa?
    You can end up getting sponsorship when out there on the WH visa, but this isn't intrinsically linked. It's more a case of, if you so happen to land a nice temp job and the employer likes you and is willing to keep you... Doesn't happen to all.

The tourist visa allows you to work in Oz for 1 year, with each employer for a maximum time of 6 months. They changed it recently I believe to allow you to apply for a second year if an employer will have you. Again, for that time restriction under that visa. They have to apply for special permission to keep you more than 6 months under the working holiday visa.

This is different to permanent sponsorship from an employer or a state, whereby you have the job sorted before you go out and they apply for your permanent visa on your behalf. You're talking doctors, engineers, teachers, nurses, plumbers, police...

I'm going out next year on a 457 visa (2 years sponsored with permanent sponsorship after that if i want to stay). this is handy for me as it gives me 2 year guaranteed employment and doesn't cost as much. Lets me try the place out too, withut massive commitment.

However, while over on any of these visas, you can apply for permanent residency if you are in a skilled occupation on the shortage list.

That's as much as I can gather from my research thus far... any corrections welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robg123

I picked this up of Finite's website (an Aussie IT recruitment agency)

Notwithstanding, those that speculatively venture out to research the Australian IT job market are far more likely to find a position quickly than trying to do it all from overseas – clients much prefer and will want to meet you in person.

I think the issue is that it is a lot of red tape for the employer to sponsor - so they don't want the headache and expense unless they can meet you in person and be confident you will be a good employee

kittex wrote: »
    You cannot work in Oz while on a tourist visa, so I assume you mean the Working Holiday visa?
    You can end up getting sponsorship when out there on the WH visa, but this isn't intrinsically linked. It's more a case of, if you so happen to land a nice temp job and the employer likes you and is willing to keep you... Doesn't happen to all.

The tourist visa allows you to work in Oz for 1 year, with each employer for a maximum time of 6 months. They changed it recently I believe to allow you to apply for a second year if an employer will have you. Again, for that time restriction under that visa. They have to apply for special permission to keep you more than 6 months under the working holiday visa.

This is different to permanent sponsorship from an employer or a state, whereby you have the job sorted before you go out and they apply for your permanent visa on your behalf. You're talking doctors, engineers, teachers, nurses, plumbers, police...

I'm going out next year on a 457 visa (2 years sponsored with permanent sponsorship after that if i want to stay). this is handy for me as it gives me 2 year guaranteed employment and doesn't cost as much. Lets me try the place out too, withut massive commitment.

However, while over on any of these visas, you can apply for permanent residency if you are in a skilled occupation on the shortage list.

That's as much as I can gather from my research thus far... any corrections welcome.

Yeah you're basically right - my issue is that I've already done my Working Holiday years ago so can't do it again.

Would like to get sponsored on a 457 visa - but it's difficult to find a sponsor from here - I was wondering if anyone had gone out on a holiday visa, gone to recruitment agencies, done a few interviews and then got sponsored.

What industry are you in?

I'm in teaching. What about yourself? What industry/industries do/could you work in?*

Edit; I just noticed you mentioned IT. What kind of roles would you be after?

• Advertisement

It would be ITIL*/Project Managementy kind of stuff

*it's an IT best practice way of doing things that is all the rage at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

Hi,I'm in exactly the same position as you, I've found it difficult to get information to state one way or the other if I am eligible, I just tried an agency again this morning, once I get a response I will let you know
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

dineel wrote: »
    Hi,I'm in exactly the same position as you, I've found it difficult to get information to state one way or the other if I am eligible, I just tried an agency again this morning, once I get a response I will let you know
    :)

I look forward to post number 2 sometime around December 2009! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Beautybeanie

Someone recommended to me going out on a tourist visa - which gives you three months there to find an employer to sponsor you.

Bad advice.

The tourist visa (subclass 679) forbids people working or applying for work. It's for tourists - ie. people coming out for a holiday. Should you obtain sponsorship on a tourist visa, it may be cancelled and you may face an exclusion period. As a computing professional you have a better chance at obtaining a Skilled Migrant visa (which is permanent).

Please note that there is a special visa class for teachers and medical staff which have different (but favourable) conditions.

kittex wrote: »

I was of course meaning the working holiday visa... :rolleyes:

6 months til I leave. Woo. :D Got all my documents ready and getting the copies certified this week to send off with my forms and teacher registration etc. The education sponsored visa apparently takes 6 weeks, so I'm well organised.

/thread hijacking.

• Advertisement

I was of course meaning the working holiday visa...

Teachers cannot apply to work on the above visa, particularly if you plan on sponsorship.
    I think you mean the Educational Visa.

Teachers cannot apply to work on the above visa, particularly if you plan on sponsorship.

If you read the post above, I wasn't talking about myself or teachers at all.
    I was replying to Rob's request to seek work for a year on a tourist visa.

I corrected him saying it was the WH visa, as you cannot seek work on a tourist visa. I then explained what the WH visa was. While doing so I daftly referred to it as the tourist visa (being that the phrase was in my head from his mistake)
    Having noticed this today, I corrected msyelf with regards to that sentence in that post.

How tiresome! :)

And as a PS: teachers can indeed seek work on the WH holiday visa, they can only do supply/cover work though and cannot stay in one school longer than the 6 months.

Gotcha re the mix up. I read it through again..pretty confusing.

Age barrier aside, the working holiday visa doesn't support full time work as teaching (even supply teaching) may require. This is because the premise for this particular visa is to supplement your holiday with work not to primarily work. This is why teachers intending to work in Australia apply for the Educational Visa as it offers a vaster freedom and far more opportunities.

For those who've already had a working holiday visa can apply for a second one as long as they are under 30 and can commit to three months' seasonal work.

Age barrier aside, the working holiday visa doesn't support full time work as teaching (even supply teaching) may require. This is because the premise for this particular visa is to supplement your holiday with work not to primarily work. This is why teachers intending to work in Australia apply for the Educational Visa as it offers a vaster freedom and far more opportunities.

It doesn't take much to do. You register from the UK with each state teaching college and voila, you then apply for work day to day supply and/or go through an agency.

Not everyone wants to move on after a week or two. For example, i know a few teachers who have done this and they might work a full month, then they can take a longer stint adventuring. The pay is good and why should a teacher on a WH be restricted to bar or farm work when they can get much more in a school?
    Day to day supply teaching does not require a lot of preparation as you are usually covering planned absences and work is left.

You are under no onus to work full time, nor any requirement to be career minded. You're just cover. It's not like supply teaching in Ireland, which can extend into the mists of time.

If you hope to use it as a foot in the door to an Oz teaching career then itdoes not seem suitable and no teacher would likely be so daft as to consider it so.
    In that case the 457 or similar looks best. That is the one I am doing. 457 WA State Sponsored, 2 years in a regional school followed by PR sponsorship.

Again, the OP is not a teacher and this whole discussion came about through rob and I discussing our very different plans.

Again, the OP is not a teacher and this whole discussion came about through rob and I discussing our very different plans.

Yeah, I know. But I'm not talking to him. I'm talking to you :)
    If you hope to use it as a foot in the door to an Oz teaching career then it does not seem suitable and no teacher would likely be so daft as to consider it so.

LOL Tell that to the teachers who come out here to do exactly that.
    Where in the WA region are you going to end up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slace

Hows it going

I have been to Oz on WHV and really enjoyed my time there. I have just completed my PGDE in Ireland. I am fully qualified history and
    geography teacher
    I would like to return to OZ to teach asap.
    I am a little confused as to the amount of experience i need to have before i apply to the Teaching authority.

I believe there is a demand for teachers in Western Australia. Is it situation whereby i could work there for a year and them move on?(prefer to live in Melebourne)

I have an Uncle who is an Australian citizen who is more than willing to sponsor me if that helps.
    I have just turned 30 and would rather like to move to Australia in the shortest time possible.
    Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Nice one

Slace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You don't need a college degree to be sponsored.
    Have a look at the requirements http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/175/eligibility-applicant.htm for sponsored visa.

But coming out and looking for a 457 (business sponsored visa, is a good option) but risky if you cannot find one.

Please note recruitment agencies no longer offer sponsorship.

If you are in Ireland, do not bother with agencies, they won't bother with you.
    So either come to Oz and look for a job whilst a tourist or re-asses the skilled migration visa requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Err YES they can.

Advertisement