Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found young kitten

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I found a young kitten. I'm not sure how old he is but he's very small. He doesn't know what a bowl of milk is. We have to feed him with a dropper. He's just about walking. He doesn't wander off and play or even check out his new surroundings-he's just been curled up sleeping.

I found him in the ditch on the side of the road. Being so small i don't think he wandered off from his mother. I think he was dumped. How can anyone dump a kitten, i dont know???

Anyway we're going to keep him/her until he's bigger and find a new home. But being so small, should i keep him and mind him myself or give him to the ispca?

We've had cats and kittens before but never kittens that are far to small. What do young kittens need?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It can be daunting when they're so small but kittens are remarkably tough little things.
    The Marklar, my 6 year old tabby was a four week old kitten when I got him, his mother had removed him from the litter and left him to die as he was riddled with cat flu and completely blind, both his eyes were swollen shut-he lost one eventually and only has partial sight in the other.
    I fed him with a a small amount of sugar and water from a syringe every four hours- he needed the sugar so that he actually had energy to eat and drink milk- he even fainted in my hand one day.
    Kittens sleep a lot, but if your kitten is very lethargic there may be an underlying problem. Check for fleas. I bathed The Marklar every day and removed all his fleas with tweezers- a horrible job, but small kittens can die from loss of blood due to fleas. I also fed him a very high quality iams kitten food bought from the vets and used baby wipes to stimulate his bladder after every feed. I 'put him to bed' in a travel crate every night at eight after a feed and a clean and fed him during the night for the first two weeks until he was strong enough to eat slightly bigger meals, after which I fed him four times a day.
    As soon as he was fit enough he had an operation to removed his destroyed eye and once I was able to ascertain he could see a little with the remaining eye I decided to give the little bugger a chance. Today he is king of the house. ;)
    I hope some of that helps, good luck with it. You'll do fine with a bit of vet back up.

Advertisement