Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exciting Approaches

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good exciting approaches either being visually spectacular or just challenging! Anyone got any toughies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Innsbruck, just flew it there.......rewarding

Sion is supposedly good

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Bhutan, in the Himalayas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

I got a B738 into runway 29 in eidw

But any of the Aran Islands are exciting approaches if your in anything from a beechcraft up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Innsbruck, just flew it there.......rewarding

But a major pain in the arse!:p
    FunkyDa wrote: »
    Bhutan, in the Himalayas.

Might try this one out in a bit, got a short haul other airport I could fly to it from?
    darragh-k wrote: »
    I got a B738 into runway 29 in eidw

:eek: Come to think of it, is that ever used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

SRFC90 wrote: »
    :eek: Come to think of it, is that ever used?

Not in real life, but it is in fs2004!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

in real life we used to use rwny 11/29 at dub (EIDW) now we use it for ac parking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Did they ever have both 28 and 29 in use at the same time? Was it just for GA traffic or did some small commercials land there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Neon is right, SION is class, in Switzerland, lovely valley airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

pclancy wrote: »
    Did they ever have both 28 and 29 in use at the same time? Was it just for GA traffic or did some small commercials land there too?

They did, until fairly recently it wasn't unusual to see Aer Arann land there from time to time (and EI's F50's going back a bit further).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

That would have been cool to watch. Strange they didnt keep it going for small commuter aircraft considering how busy 28 is.

As regards exciting approaches, I know I keep banging on about New Zealand but try Wellington and Queenstown with real weather turned on. Crosswinds Galor!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

pclancy wrote: »

it was used for a bit as said with aer arran and EI f50's one thing we never mentioned was the bae 146 EI. sorry im off topic again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

try SABA (ICAO airport code) a very small airport in the Caribbean near princess Julia St Maarten another interesting place to land, no ILS at both airports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any good ones that do have ILS?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Any good ones that do have ILS?

An ILS isint a challenge :P

FRA or LHR when its very busy on vATSIM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

An ILS isint a challenge :P
    I know it isn't. :) I was looking for nice approaches that are scenic etc that are on ILS.

I have found quite a few tricky ILS approaches. Kilimanjaro is a nightmare.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

ILS is no fun as you would spend the time trying to align yourself with the glideslope and localizer you would notice nothing!

Try Aspen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspen_Airport), it's a good one but it's not actually hard. Forget if it has an ILS but I don't think it does

On Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.223056,-106.868889&spn=0.03,0.03&t=k&q=39.223056,-106.868889

Anyone got the packages for Kai Tak to download?? Now there's an approach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dogster

Courchevel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

MSFS2004 Courchevel Simtours

http://www.simtours.net/courchevel.php

MSFSX Courchevel Airport in Avsim library

ukpilots_courchevel_airport_scenery.zip

MSFS2004 Courchevel Airport and other alpine strips in Avsim library

frenchalpsaltiports.zip

alternatively you can find these files, just be entering

Courchevel

in to the search line in the Avsim library

http://www.avsim.com/

Best Regards
    The Dogster

Anyone got the packages for Kai Tak to download?? Now there's an approach!

the item below is a first part of a four part install plus a few patches

Now with auto-installer! Break out your 'heavies' from the 70's-80's-90's and see if you can tame the Dragon by mastering the infamous IGS 'Checkerboard' Approach. Scenery also includes the areas of Kowloon, Hong Kong, Chek Lap Kok, custom autogen, terrain mesh, and approximately 800 miles of photoreal day and night textures. Version 2 improvements also include an uninstaller, bug fixes, full support for Aerosoft's AES and some minor scenery adjustments. Part 1 is the 9Dragons Pilot's Guide v2.
    unquote

find them by entering

9dragons

in to the search line in the Avsim library

and selecting

FS2004 scenery

in the category line

Best Regards
    The Dogster

When i search for 9dragons on avsim, some packages come up saying `1of4 and 2of4 but then others come up like, 4of5??

Are these seperate packages or what??

• Advertisement

When i search for 9dragons on avsim, some packages come up saying `1of4 and 2of4 but then others come up like, 4of5??

Are these seperate packages or what??

Hi sorry I can not give you a better answer, but since I allready have a payware Kai Tak installed on my current FS2004, I was waiting till my new hardware is delivered before setting up a fresh FS2004 in which I plan to install the 9 Dragons add-on. Thanks for spotting the the 5 and 4 issue, my best guess is that the original package came in five parts but the version 2 comes in four parts and that version 2 is the later [ and better ] version.

http://www.milehighproductions.cwhnetworks.com/

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer
    AKA The Dogster

PS If you do go ahead with installing the 9 Dragons scenery, post an entry in the thread let us know how things went.

And whilst on the subject of Kai Tak, Swire Mariners is a great source of suitable re-paints for aircraft belonging to Cathay Pacific an important carrier in Hong Kong, Asia and World Wide.

http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer
    AKA The Dogster

Must try that courchlevel. Thanks for the heads up :D

Dogster wrote: »
    PS If you do go ahead with installing the 9 Dragons scenery, post an entry in the thread let us know how things went.

I did go ahead and installed it and have no problems with it thus far! Download the 2nd version (the one with 4 packags, not 5!)

Only problem I'm having now is trying to understand this bloody approach! Havn't a scooby doo what I'm doing!!:D

Hi re Kai Tak, I am not a 4 real pilot or ATC or even an expert simmer and I do not have maps for the Hong Kong area but, I put this together and I hope it helps.

establish your aircraft [ outside of the Hongkong Kai Tak local approach area blue border on FS2004 map area at over 10,000 ] and 90 degree east of the Cheung Chau Vor CH 112.3, descend to to 8000 feet or as advised by ATC, set 270 on your course selector knob and proceed to VOR CH whilst descending to pass over CH at 6000 FT tracking 270 degrees inbound to CH [ you may be asked by ATC to hold at CH, if so on passing CH make standard left turn 180 degrees to bring you on to a 90 degree course, hold 90 degree course then make standard 180 degrees left turn to bring you on to the 270 inbound to CH, on passing CH maintain holding pattern as previously described or proceed to waypoint Golf as advised by ATC ] , fly outbound of CH at 90 degrees, heading 270 magnetic to Waypoint Golf 7 miles West of CH, at Waypoint Golf if aircraft capable of speeds below 180 knots in present configuration turn directly right on to a 45 heading to overfly Shaw Lo Wan NDB SL 286, if aircraft unsuitable to proceed onward of Waypoint Golf at below 180 Knot e.g. Boeing 747 type, make lazyright turn on on to 45 heading to pass offset of Shaw Lo Wan NDB 286, set NAV 1 to 111.9 Hong Kai Tak International Airport and course selector knob to 88 degrees start descent to 4500 by Shaw Lo Wan 286 SL, before Shaw Lo Wan SL 286, you should have a good radio of reception IGS for 111.9 KL, whilst aiming to line up with the localizer by 15 miles DME, due to numerous high peaks, sudden changes in visability and localized weather condtions, it is important you do not descend below 4500 untill established on the Localizer. Once established on localizer you should pass the Western end of the suspension bridge and South of the Island beyond it, pass the outer marker at 1770 feet follow IGS course and visual gilde path as per lighting, if visual condtions below VFR minimums at middle marker, institute missed approach go round by turning right by 47 degress and proceed to TH VOR, if within VFR landing condtion at middle marker proceed under VFR landing rules and ignore IGS flight path instructions, prepare to turn right as approach checker bord marker hill comes in to proxamity your altitude should now be 675 feet with a DME of 2.2 miles with aircraft at final approach speed, turn right immediately to 135 degrees at middle marker or slightly before if aircraft heavy or tail wind or both.

NB FS2004 does not have a fully effective ATC, so the ATC in the above is a pretend one.

IGS13_1b.jpg

Best Regards
    Adrian Wainer

4real Easy Jet A-319 missed approach Funchal Madeira......I have tried it in a Capatain Sim Boeing 727 in FS9, it is no picnic................

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=9vughMWABHE&feature=related

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Dogster wrote: »
    4real Easy Jet A-319 missed approach Funchal Madeira......I have tried it in a Capatain Sim Boeing 727 in FS9, it is no picnic................

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=9vughMWABHE&feature=related

Best and Warm Regards
    Adrian Wainer

That's actually the easier runway to land on! The opposite track requires a sharp right hand turn along steep cliffs for a short final.

Here's an excellent image of a 737NG on finals

Advertisement