Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next season

Options
  • 16-06-2008 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

It's very early to be discussing this I know but let's put it out there. If anyone has a committed mate who would add to the squad get em down before seasons end. We need to improve if we're gonna win this thing. Sav said last week that "this is what it must be like to play for West Ham". And he's right. No one wants to be fecking about in mid table in this league. It's painful stuff. I have two mates who would definitely add to the team. Now, I'm not 100% sure how committed they would be but I've been procrastinating over whether to bring them along for months now and think it's about time I did. So if Des has no objections I'll get them along in a couple of weeks for a game.

Next season I want to win the bloody thing and to do that we need two things; better players and a consistent team on the pitch. Everyone should be pushed for a place in the side. I feel that's a bit lacking even when everyone is fit and available. There are certain players (myself included) who need a kick up the arse. And adding more quality players into the mix can do no harm. Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Your thoughts are +1? You can go far with that sheep mentality in An Garda Siochana :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I know it's been discussed before but I think we really need to do some form of training together. It's always going to be hard to organise etc but I think we should agree that we do maybe one/two training sessions a month (if we can't arrange a weekly one). This way we get to see how the whole squad plays and when a sub comes on we know what to expect.

Also in the couple of week after the end of this season we need to do some sort of pre-season training or get a few games. I think that the couple of session before last season helped us alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We will have a friendly on the 30th August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

leixlipred wrote: »
    your Thoughts Are +1? You Can Go Far With That Sheep Mentality In An Garda Siochana :d
    :d:d

• Advertisement

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Your thoughts are +1? You can go far with that sheep mentality in An Garda Siochana :D

:mad::eek::mad:

Dazza Anderton strikes again! :D

Savman wrote: »
    :d:d

I can't wait to see Gareth Barry in a red jersey next year :D

DesF wrote: »

Against who?

pvt.joker wrote: »
    I can't wait to see Gareth Barry in a red jersey next year :D
    :eek:shove it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is that the game in your locality Des that we played last year, against beechlawn?

that was a great experience. maybe try for Tolka this year Des? even if we have to pay for it and get a sponsor, would be worth it.

ill help out Des with what ever is needed in this field, would be cool to play there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If yer looking for extra players, look no further than BOOM_BAP.
    If yer looking for commitment, look no further than BOOM_BAP.
    If yer looking for someone who refers to himself in the third person, look no further than......

But seriously, if you need extra players, let me know.

Are you any good? What position do you play?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm a decent enough player, play lots of 5 a side/7 a side and used to play with St kevins a few years back.

I play in the middle of the park, but you could throw me in any position and i'd be comfortable.......except in the nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Howya lads, when does the winter league finish?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Howya lads, when does the winter league finish?

In March I think.

Don't worry, I know why you are asking ;)

In March I think.

Don't worry, I know why you are asking ;)

:D

Well I've no problem transferring over some money to cover playing. I've been following this year and it seems between injuries and other commitments you've been short most weeks and I'd be available definitely for the three weeks I'm back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :D

Well I've no problem transferring over some money to cover playing. I've been following this year and it seems between injuries and other commitments you've been short most weeks and I'd be available definitely for the three weeks I'm back.

when are you back? winter season is october to march i tink.

5th of Feb for 3 and a half weeks.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm a decent enough player, play lots of 5 a side/7 a side and used to play with St kevins a few years back.

I play in the middle of the park, but you could throw me in any position and i'd be comfortable.......except in the nets.
    Make contact with DesF and come on down bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Lads I agree with everything suggested for next season but to be honest there's nothing new there...it's the same things we've said at the end of every season: we need to get a regular training/run-out session organised, we need a few more quality additions to the squad, we need to keep things ticking over between seasons with training sessions and friendlies to make sure we don't start the season rusty as usual.

The regular training session one has been the hardest to organise as we've tried and failed several times. I still don't see how it's not possible to have at least a weekly 5-a-side on a Thursday evening or at the weekend. From a squad of 20+ we have to be able to get 10 bodies with mates/random boardsies coming in as needed. Thursdays are naturally gonna be tough to book a pitch for, but if we commit to it early it's doable.

New players - I'm all on for bringing a few lads down for a look towards the end of the season, but this is where off-season training and friendlies are absolutely key: we should use these as open sessions for anyone interested to come down and have a run out and Des can use them as trials. Publicise them far enough in advance (banner ad on boards and word of mouth throught the squad) and have a good few proper friendlies lined up and we'll get much better interest and a better look at those players.

So, this season finishes on 5th August - let's start working towards getting a friendly organised for the following week. I know there'll be loads of people on holidays, but we're better off doing something scrappy than not at all, and there may be plenty of newcomers available. No harm in getting a friendly or 2 arranged for the weekends leading up to the end of this season either.

When does the next season start, roughly?

One other point lads is a few more of you need to step up to the plate in terms of giving a dig out to organise these things - when it comes to booking pitches etc it generally falls to Des with me providing backup, though a couple of lads have helped out here and there. Des is not paid to do this and gives his time for the best interests of the team, but there's a limit to how much time we can reasonably ask of Des. This team has to be run by a team effort - if everyone takes on a little bit of the work more things get organised and nobody feels overly burdened. Leave it to one or 2 people and they may not get to it or may feel hard done by, so I think every single player should be volunteering to organise at least one aspect of a training session or friendly (e.g. Art might say he can arrange an opposition for a certain date and then Lepo might take on the booking of the pitches).

Des can post on here the details of how to book pitches through Astro.ie but we should build up a full stickied thread with contact details for all pitches (11 and 5 a side) that we know of to make it a lot easier for us to book sessions.

• Advertisement

One other point lads is a few more of you need to step up to the plate in terms of giving a dig out to organise these things
    Agree 1000%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Very fair on the organisation thing lads.
    Edit: 1000% Sav? Lets step this up so.

I had said something to Des briefly about a weekly kickabout. When I was in the US there were 'pick-up' games organised weekly. This consisted of posting on internet forums for people to meet at a certain time and place for an informal game. The standar was ok, but it was more about fitness and playing a bit of ball.

If we can't get enough for a training session together, I would be confident of getting enough for an 11 on 11 at the phenix park on a saturday/sunday between the team, myself and Simons mates and randomers from boards looking for a game. I've no problem getting this together, seeing as it is just posting on the soccer forum and sending out a few texts to mates. It's not too hard to set up a text service for people to sign up to or an email alert when a game is on. It could be every week at the same time.

It would be good for fitness and a bit more ball playing.
    Myself and Simon played every day since our last game and I feel a hell of a lot better for it. I've still no pace, but I can last a bit longer!

Any thoughts?

Good idea in principle, defo agree (maybe 999%) that we shouldn't be having issues to get a simple game of ball going once a week. I don't think the Phoeno is a runner tho, mainly because it's grass and we're an astro team.

5 a side astro pitch gets my vote.

I was onto Al there (mate I brought last night) he says he's defo interested in joining nxt season whenever that is. I should mention he got clubman of the year at our team cos he's always up training etc etc so IMHO would be a good addition.

Al wants to join?

We'll deffo take him.

Tell him to keep coming to whatever matches he can make for the rest of the season too.

Yeh from the little bit of what we seen of him last night he's definitely a chap we'd want. Very composed on the ball and looks extremely fit. Which is what we lack in the middle. As for a weekly game, no reason that shouldn't be happening. Willing to help out organisation wise in any way i can.

Al wants to join?

We'll deffo take him.

Tell him to keep coming to whatever matches he can make for the rest of the season too.
    Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

When is your next training session ? Ill come along. The only thing thats stopped my joining in the past is my fitness but Ive been playing regular 5 a side once a week so Im slowly getting fit again.

What position do you play, in an 11-a-side?

Please, I don't mean to be rude, but please, don't say anything along the lines of "anywhere really". That doesn't help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

What position do you play, in an 11-a-side?

Please, I don't mean to be rude, but please, don't say anything along the lines of "anywhere really". That doesn't help me.

When fully fit I like to play center midfield. I have spent more time playing right full back & right wing than center midfield though and that would probably suit my fitness at the moment.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    When fully fit I like to play center midfield. I have spent more time playing right full back & right wing than center midfield though and that would probably suit my fitness at the moment.

Right, well we don't train, so, because this season was a bit of a washout with regards to league position and stuff, even challenging for a top half table finish looks like it won't happen tbh, why don't you come out to a couple of matches for a look?

By a look I mean you see what we are about, what we try to do and then get on for a while, kind of like a trial?

We play Tuesday evenings on the southside of Dublin. A lift can probably be arranged if you don't drive.

We'll have a couple of friendlies too that you could come to. Most probably on a Saturdays.

Then we, me and you, can decide if you join up for the Winter Season.

Advertisement