Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Recovery

Options
  • 16-06-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if someone here could recommend a place in Dublin that does HDD recovery? I have a HDD that had a load of partitions on it and when I was re-arranging the system using Acronis they all seemed to have been fubared. Now I have 23 1Gb partitions which are all duplicate of my mail partiation. They were all FAT32 so I think its just the FAT thats messed up but I dont know if the partitions can be recovered.

I know its a long shot and it'll be expensive but there are some pretty valuable files on there. Is there any place that does an analysis/report before I fork out money for nothin?

Regards,

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

There's a place out by phibsboro shopping center, not sure what they were called. Pricey mind you (but it was worth it in my case)

edit:
    http://www.datarecovery.ie/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you have screwed up partitions then look at www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    to recover files look at photorec on the same site - take a good long look at the files it lists on the preview before you write to the disk, make sure you go a few folders deep to make sure it don't go to mush after the first few
    best to save existing partition table anyway -if not sure get a techie friend to look too

23 partitions !
    as long as it only created the partition tables then data loss might be minimal
    however, if you cloned a 1gb partition 23 times which would have taken ages then it might have overwritten underlying data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try ontrack easy recovery, i've seen this recover formatted drives, but as Cap't says if you cloned same partition you could be f ucked

21/25

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

photorec will allow you to recover files regardless of the file system, it's also read only so won't make things worse.

Advertisement