Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer Solstice Sites

• 16-06-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Wondering does anyone know if there is anything going on at Loughcrew or the Hill of Tara on Saturday at dawn for the solstice? I'm not interested in the religious or spiritual side of it but finding it hard to find sites that are associated with the summer solstice. Based in the Meath area. I know there are 'druids' etc at Tara all day saturday but would rather be somewhere a bit quieter without the attending mumbo jumbo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

I saw you post too late for this Solstice I'm afraid, but apparently the Hill of Down is a good place to be.

Aelfric
    (Also in Meath) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Sorry a bit late in replying,
    Summer Solstice Sunrise at the Grange Lios in Lough Gur is the one I know most about. The sun rises between these two stones http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/57622/images/grange_lios_lough_gur.html.

What is meant to happen at the Hill of Down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Thanks for the replies, guys. I was going to go to Loughcrew but the weather was so bad on Friday evening that I didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Was going to go to Lough Gur for the sunrise myself, got up at 4am but it was lashing down so went back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

the sun doesn't shine in at lough crew on the soltice, it shines at the midyear soltices, march and sep 21. great view though

• Advertisement
Advertisement