Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfunded research PhD?

Options
  • 16-06-2008 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there!

I am a Dutch woman who just moved to Dublin because of my husbands work. I would like to do a PhD here. I submitted a research plan for a scholarship at DIT and I am still waiting for the result.

The system at the university in Ireland is totally different from the one in Holland, so I might ask something weird :).

I wonder what will happen when I don't get the scholarship. The supervisor I have in mind for my research told me that when I wouldn't be succesfull I could submit a research plan in December or next year for a scholarship, for the year starting October 2009. I am not very happy about the idea of waiting another year before I can start my PhD.

Is it normal in Ireland to start a PhD without a scholarship? Is it likely that a university will accept me when I don't have a scholarship? Is it possible to apply for a scholarship for people who already started with their PhD-research?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Yuky
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

You can start anytime you like if you get accepted and have the funds to pay the college fees yourself. There would be nothing stopping you applying for funding at any stage after that. The next round of the gov. of Ireland grants is in january afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Science or Arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Yuky

efla wrote: »
    Science or Arts?

Arts

efla wrote: »
    You can start anytime you like if you get accepted and have the funds to pay the college fees yourself. There would be nothing stopping you applying for funding at any stage after that. The next round of the gov. of Ireland grants is in january afaik.?

OK, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Acceptance onto the PhD and gaining a scholarship are totally seperate in principle. So, if they are linking it, and if you dont need a scholarship (it would be nice to have tho..) look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Is it normal in Ireland to start a PhD without a scholarship?
    No its not "normal", but yes it does happen and it is more usually associated with part-time PhD students.
    Is it likely that a university will accept me when I don't have a scholarship?
    There is no linkage between acceptance and funding. The acceptance is an academic decision. They should not care who is funding, you, government grant, etc. If they do care, then I suggest looking elsewhere.
    Is it possible to apply for a scholarship for people who already started with their PhD-research?
    Yes. Happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

H2G2 wrote: »
    No its not "normal", but yes it does happen and it is more usually associated with part-time PhD students.

I don't think it's entirely fair to say that it's 'not "normal"', especially if you're discussing a PhD in Arts. While it may be argued that there are now more scholarships available for new PhD students that there were in the past, the majority of full-time Arts postgraduate students don't have funding for their PhDs, while those who do were accepted for and started their PhD without any funding, and only received scholarships during their studies.

Your acceptance for a PhD, either part or full time, in Arts isn't based upon whether or not you have funding, but the validity of your research proposal and whether or not there's a suitable supervisor in the school/department in your chosen university.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

convert wrote: »
    I don't think it's entirely fair to say that it's 'not "normal"', especially if you're discussing a PhD in Arts. While it may be argued that there are now more scholarships available for new PhD students that there were in the past, the majority of full-time Arts postgraduate students don't have funding for their PhDs, while those who do were accepted for and started their PhD without any funding, and only received scholarships during their studies.

Your acceptance for a PhD, either part or full time, in Arts isn't based upon whether or not you have funding, but the validity of your research proposal and whether or not there's a suitable supervisor in the school/department in your chosen university.

Agree with Convert... funding in arts is completely different to science. Except in more recent years, it has always been more usual not to have a scholarship. In the last 2-3 years a lot more funding has come on stream (often linked to specific projects though so not always relevant to all students), but even though more students have scholarships now, I imagine the majority would still be unfunded. This varies according to discipline and research area though.
    Continuing to apply for funding after you have started is also quite usual (though some schoalrships don't allow it - check specific conditions for each one). I don't know about starting at any time in the academic year - I would have thought you would always start in Sept/Oct, but check with your university. Starting later in year would probably rule out part time teaching work in your dept if you were interested in this.

Anyway, hope all this helps :)

Advertisement