Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin traffic management 'best in world'

Options
  • 16-06-2008 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Have just picked myself up off the floor having read following claim by M Phillips Dublin director of traffic "The traffic control system in Dublin is one of the most comprehensive and up to date in the world..." It's on letters page Ir Times, commenting on Luas tram priority.

He's also picking a public fight with J Henry which is a bit pathetic given he's on DTO's board.

From previous postings here I thought Dublin's control system far from being 'state of the art' is completely outmoded and badly in need of investment/upgrade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I have no idea.

I have heard the system is actually very good but the amount of junctions / crossings is a constraint. I think the system may work well, it is just the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I have no idea.

I have heard the system is actually very good but the amount of junctions / crossings is a constraint. I think the system may work well, it is just the roads.

I've heard the same. The system is fine - the problem is Dublin itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, everyone else went for square and rectangles, Dublin went for triangles and trapezoids.

Of course, improvements could be made - buses in particular need better priority.

Well compared to this!

or this!

Dublin does have better traffic management :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I believe its external factors effecting the Luas, its quiet good itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting utube clips...not too many single occupancy Porsche Cayenne`s,White van`s stuck up on kerb`s or many of the other items which Mr Phillips feels makes Dublins "System" so World Class.....:rolleyes:

Mind you,seeing as the clips appear to originate in SE Asia or the Orient I suppose it`s possible that the Air Conditioning system in Civic Offices may be allowing hallucinogenic compounds to seep into the City Managers bunker.... :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interesting utube clips...not too many single occupancy Porsche Cayenne`s,White van`s stuck up on kerb`s or many of the other items which Mr Phillips feels makes Dublins "System" so World Class.....:rolleyes:

Mind you,seeing as the clips appear to originate in SE Asia or the Orient I suppose it`s possible that the Air Conditioning system in Civic Offices may be allowing hallucinogenic compounds to seep into the City Managers bunker.... :D

It's fair to say despite the chaos, the throughput is enormous. As you infer, just imagine each of those motorists in their own "Chelsea tractor" - it would be total gridlock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I've never thought of Dublin traffic as being all that bad. What's bad is the street lay-out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Slice wrote: »
    I've never thought of Dublin traffic as being all that bad. What's bad is the street lay-out
    The street layout is what gives the city its character and makes it interesting. The traffic problems are caused by selfish driving. What's worse is that the average driver thinks there is nothing wrong with wasting road space or blocking a lane of traffic while forcing his/her way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

de breeze wrote: »
    He's also picking a public fight with J Henry which is a bit pathetic given he's on DTO's board.
    In fairness, that was in the context of the DTO seeming to be unaware of the Luas having priority at traffic lights. Given that overuse of that facility created traffic disruption in the first days of Luas, and that this fact was publically reported, it was a little puzzling at why folk who should know better were pontificating as if apparantly ignorant about this.

As to Dublin traffic generally, I think in a strange kind of way the fact the city stays moving despite (shall we say) challenges in the shape of no integrated public transport suggests somebody is doing something that adds value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I think possibly John Henry is being slightly misinterpreted regarding LUAS priority at traffic lights.

At most junctions, LUAS trams do get full priority, but there are several junctions where, as far as I can tell, it does not get full priority, and trams have to wait as the traffic lights move through their cycle, and one of these is the junction of Harcourt Street and Cuffe Street as mentioned by Mr. Henry.

In my experience, trams tend to have to wait at:

Green Line:
    Harcourt Street/Cuffe Street

Red Line:
    Red Cow Roundabout - Limited priority
    Nangor Road/Naas Road
    Kylemore Road/Naas Road
    St John's Road/Steeven's Lane
    Benburb Street/Blackhall Place
    Chancery Place/Chancery Street
    O'Connell Street/Abbey Street

Some of these are absolutely correct, such as O'Connell Street where the volume of bus traffic exceeds trams by a great margin.

However, I remain to be convinced by some of the other junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭markpb

KC61 wrote: »
    Some of these are absolutely correct, such as O'Connell Street where the volume of bus traffic exceeds trams by a great margin.

That junction could easily be changed to allow better Luas priority without reducing bus capacity. As the Luas crosses east-west, pedestrians could easily cross east-west without any conflict. When cars & buses are crossing north-south, pedestrians could easily cross north-south with a flashing amber to allow cars to turn south-east and north-west.

Instantly, everyone is better off but DCC ITS won't approve it because it was tried before (when the Luas first started) and pedestrians who were unfamilar with the Luas, walked out in front of it. Instead, everything comes to a halt when the Luas passes. Then everything remains at a halt while no-one moves because all the pedestrians have already crossed.

Advertisement