Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss: Good peripherals are the most important part of a computer

Options
  • 15-06-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

Just realising as I slot a new set of rechargables into my MX700, that in 2003, my friends thought I was completely insane to be spending 60 Euros on a mouse. Yet in the intervening 5 years, they've probably gone though 60 euros of mice, and haven't had the pleasure of using one as solid as the MX700.

And it made me realise that, for me, the most important part of the computers are the peripherals.

I can't even remember what exactly is in my box, Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM and 2x320GB hard disks, and an ATI X800 series card.....
    But the box itself is about 9 years old and made of solid Texas steel, and somewhat annoying harks from an era before front USB.

They keyboard's an old Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro, with a distinctive brown tinge, even at the time I could have got 3 **** keyboards for the price.

My monitor is a POS Samsung panel that needs replaced :(

So, the question I have is basically this: Do you think that it's worth spending money on good peripherals? Would you apply that to monitors too? (And on a sidenote, anyone else out there still using an MX700?)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

In my old job, we had the absolute worst HP ball mice you could imagine - they wouldn't move left most of the time. I went and got an MX1000 for e80 at the time. Same as you, my mates thought I was insane for buying a mouse that expensive. Still using it in my new job 2 years later and will hopefully be using it in another 2 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

So, the question I have is basically this: Do you think that it's worth spending money on good peripherals? Would you apply that to monitors too? (And on a sidenote, anyone else out there still using an MX700?)

Yep, most definitely, thats why I'm still using a 3 year old MX1000 (my friends thought it mad to spend €80 on a mouse) and also why I bought a 24" Samsung monitor 3 months ago (they didn't comment on this one as they knew I was right)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I always have a good gaming mouse.
    I can't stand poor quality monitors.
    I need the comfortable earphones.
    But I only buy cheapo keyboards... partly because the expensive ones are full of crappy gimmicks (superfluous internet/media buttons, wireless that I don't need) and partly because they'll be destroyed with dust and spills inside of a year or two anyway.... and partly because I don't like the key layout on some of the newer keyboards... the cheapo junk keyboards have just the key layout I like... which is a pity in a way because they don't feel great to type on, very mushy or something... I almost have to bash the shít out of the keys on my current keyboard (~€12). :/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt spend a lot on a mouse. in fact, the mouse is at the bottom of the food chain. so long as its optical and has a wheel and 2 buttons im satisfied. However since you ask, if i had to splash out I would get this: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Laser-Mouse-Notebooks/dp/B000TKHBDK/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213548937&sr=8-6

Keyboards now are slightly more important, and speakers/good headphones are a boon.

But are these things more important than the computer itself? I think not. The best haptic peripherals in the world still wont make your machine run any faster. in fact, some make it run even slower. Good example is that monster Optimus Maximus keyboard with the OLED key displays (mmm juicy) but it takes up system resources to bring you that kind of fancy.

and the one thing that always pisses me off is some people that will get a machine with a cheap onboard graphics solution, and then they'll go get the most monstrous monitor they can find (and in some cases: two!) - its one way to send your machine straight into performance hell. Are two 24" widescreen flat panels more important than the video card that has to operate them? No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Would spend a fair bit on a mouse if I was a gamer or needed it to be extra special, but what's the point in having a great keyboard and mouse if your running 128 of ram and running out of space on your 10 gig hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have come across Vista on 15" 4:3 crt monitors with a dodgy roller ball mouse, now thats just wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I have come across Vista on 15" 4:3 crt monitors with a dodgy roller ball mouse, now thats just wrong.
    Roller ball mice in general are wrong. Actually no, make that evil. Fúckin' hate the yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Roller ball mice in general are wrong. Actually no, make that evil. Fúckin' hate the yokes.

Do you not get that feeling of satisfaction when you remove the ball and get rid of the line of dust that was causing your cursor to go hay wire, or am I alone on that one.

you're totally and utterly alone.

Speaking of peripherals I just saw Iron Man last night (omg,) and I really want that holographic design table he had.. and then he built the blueprint for the arm and started playing around with it. mmm... technophilia...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

i have always had a decent mouse, you use it so much its kind of a neccesary thing.

Currently have a Logitech Nano.. brilliant for my laptop especially with the reciever is so nice and small

POssibly dont agree with the overall statement, maybe just that your system is only as good as your weakest (not neccessarily least expensive) component.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I dunno, surprised to hear people not spending money on a good keyboard. I'm a programmer and a good keyboard is necessary. This one has survived the world for 8 years (including tea), presumably because it's hard. Would be tempted to replace it with this.... http://www.daskeyboard.com/specifications.php

i do most coding in class on those basic Dell Keyboards >.< I've learned to deal with crap.

Anyway I only have my laptop these days. The keyboard on HP Pavillions is actually pretty nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I went through a bit of an upgrade peripheral wise lately.

Changed my generic dell keyboard and mouse for a MX518 and Apple Aluminium low profile keyboard. Also got a small steelseries mat.

Keyboard cost around €20, mouse €20, and mat €15.
    Probably one of the more satisfying upgrades.

Advertisement