Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth advertising

Options
  • 15-06-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭

I help in the running of a retail business in the city centre. Basically I wanted to give bluetooth proximity advertising a test and see how it goes. I know what I need to achieve it but I bought a supposed 100m adapter and its more like 20m...useless. I need a reccomendation on whats a decent adapter, range is the most important part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

To be honest, to get a decent range you'd need to invest time in altering one by attaching a better antenna or money to buy an altered one on-line...meh! Google. that's as far as I help a potential spammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Spammer is right. No help from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jeez didnt know people felt so strongly about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

rob316 wrote: »
    Jeez didnt know people felt so strongly about it.

Yeah cos people just love advertisments..... :rolleyes:

Even money off coupons? Does it really turn off customers and could it potentially hurt my business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Basically I wanted to give bluetooth proximity advertising a test and see how it goes.

How does that work then? Somebody walking past with Bluetooth enabled gets a request for connection, or does it somehow bypass that and the ad appears on the phone automatically? I'd be fairly annoyed by either of these, and pissing off potential customers is something no business should actively try to do.

jor el wrote: »
    How does that work then? Somebody walking past with Bluetooth enabled gets a request for connection, or does it somehow bypass that and the ad appears on the phone automatically? I'd be fairly annoyed by either of these, and pissing off potential customers is something no business should actively try to do.

Passer-bys with there bluetooth enabled will get a request for a connection. Yes or No? Its permission based.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i actually do a bit of work for a guy who offers this service if you pm me your details i could meet up with you and show you how our device works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Even money off coupons? Does it really turn off customers and could it potentially hurt my business?

I wouldn't want to receive anything like this without specifically requesting it anyway.
    rob316 wrote:
    Passer-bys with there bluetooth enabled will get a request for a connection.
    If I got a Bluetooth connection request from an unknown source as I was walking down the street, I'd reject it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Agree with jor el, i'd be surprised if people accepted the request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

fathertedcarefulnowgi6.jpg
    fathertedcarefulnowgi6.3faabe0c39.jpg

Down with this sort of thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Passer-bys with there bluetooth enabled will get a request for a connection. Yes or No? Its permission based.
    I never look at my phone while walking down the street, it's on the off chance that I'm going to send a text or receive one. And if I did see a request, as has been said, I'd just say no as I don't want anyone rootling about my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

This is the precise reason I never have Bluetooth enabled unless I specifically know I'll be using it. I really don't want to be spammed with random connection requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Well there you are. Better to do a little research about how people are likely to react to something like this before going ahead and implementing it.

Personally, I hate the idea. There is enough intrusive advertising as it is without it attacking me directly and personally when I'm out and about and offline.

If you are working on a system like this, might I suggest taking a different tack and using it as an opt-in system with specific benefits to subscribers than something that will end up annoying a lot of people and giving your company and anyone else who uses it a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

This was/is being trialled in the Jervis Shopping Centre in Dublin recently.

An article from the indo on it here:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/irritated-consumers-could-turn-the-air-blue-1398735.html

I personally never turn on Bluetooth unless I'm going to be using it myself. But if it is advertised that there are vouchers on offer, people may go for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I think its a terrible idea. And one i can not see working as almost everyone i know has their bluetooth turned off 99% of the time. Although with some malicious software you can force the connection to some phones. Especially samsung phones.

Advertisement