Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reformatted problem

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I reformatted my OS which is stored on a seperate drive and I have all my Games on seperate drive also...
    My problem is now that when for example I download a patch for one of these games... windows is not detecting that it has it installed so i cant patch the games... another example is when i put the CD in it comes up with a Install option.. not a play option.

Is there a way to fix this ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Reinstall the games. You lost your install info when you formatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,897 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

indeed, you lost the Registry Key information for those programs during the reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

What can I do then to stop this happening again ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    What can I do then to stop this happening again ?
    Don't reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Find out what you need to back up, then reinstall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,897 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i find it best when reformatting to just accept the lost of installed software: its all recoverable anyway. You're best off just keeping your install/setup files and trash the installed product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Or make an image of the drive before you format (Norton Ghost/Acronis True Image, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sparkicks

back up your registry (start-run-regedit-right click-export) but you'd want to know what you're looking for.
    since the damage is done just reinstall the game... it should just rewrite to the registry and leave your save games as they are (but as you've written over your os drive depending on the game they'd be there and wiped off too)

also that even though if you put in the cd no play option comes up simply navigating to your programs folder and running the select program will start the game up anyway

Advertisement