Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Green Pages

Options
  • 15-06-2008 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure if these were distributed outside of Dublin.

Did anyone else get a copy of the Green Pages in the door the other day? When I first heard of these I thought "There's a good idea, an ONLINE directory to save paper and resources". I can't get over how ridiculous it is to have a supposedly enviromentaly friendly directory that is mass printed and distributed! Surely it takes the same resources and energy to produce and recycle these books, and that it would have been better left in soft format?

Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Feel free to shoot me! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not everybody is online.

There was an online Green Pages once in the mid-ninties. (My baby)

gphp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thrain wrote: »
    I can't get over how ridiculous it is to have a supposedly enviromentaly friendly directory that is mass printed and distributed! Surely it takes the same resources and energy to produce and recycle these books, and that it would have been better left in soft format?

I realize you are in Dublin but are you aware that most of rural areas don’t have broadband or any reliable internet service at all?
    I don’t know the green pages but the Golden Pages are here to stay. Eircom charges big bucks for premium ads, they wouldn’t be producing them if they were running a loss.

It’s great saying scrap directory books but I it’d still use them over google if I was looking for something like a plumber, electrician, etc.
    And so would lots of others
    Sorry for the rant, and sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Feel free to shoot me! :D
    Let me be the first in line :D

Edit: This post didn't start in Dublin City forum so my post about rural areas wasn't offtopic when I posted it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Evolution Green

Hi,

I couldn't agree more! I know it's hard to argue against any well intentioned effort to use more recycled paper, but the idea of greening a environmental directory is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig! I have just become a member of a no nonsense, straight talking Irish green info site, Greenme.ie. These guys walk the walk.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure if these were distributed outside of Dublin.

Did anyone else get a copy of the Green Pages in the door the other day? When I first heard of these I thought "There's a good idea, an ONLINE directory to save paper and resources". I can't get over how ridiculous it is to have a supposedly enviromentaly friendly directory that is mass printed and distributed! Surely it takes the same resources and energy to produce and recycle these books, and that it would have been better left in soft format?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 myah

I think what the Green Pages are doing is a good idea, but i must say I am also disappointed that they decided to produce 250,000 physical copies. While I am sure there is a small amout of people without internet access these days - surely it would have been wiser to supply contact info on demand. The carbon footprint of producing and distributing this doorstopper is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doop

I can see the argument against not printing the green pages, but you have to remember alot of people, and many of my friends included, dont even consider these issues/ services unless its in front of them... or dropped in the door!
    I think its good to put it in front of people to get them thinking, if you had to go looking for the info then many wouldnt bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Green pages for sale at the dublin food co-op for €6.99 a pop

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Moved to Green Issues Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hi,

I couldn't agree more! I know it's hard to argue against any well intentioned effort to use more recycled paper, but the idea of greening a environmental directory is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig! I have just become a member of a no nonsense, straight talking Irish green info site, Greenme.ie. These guys walk the walk.

Walk the walk to the bank. Yeah, thanks for that Evolution Green. Not. Money to be made in this green lark looking at that sites rate card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 myah

I know what you're saying Mikom, but having advertised with GreenPages myself they are no cheaper. I think it's naive to think there is any business out there that doesn't charge for the service. €220 / year to be a business member of GreenMe seems to be a very good deal - I'm sorry i hadn't come accross them before I signed with GPages. GreenME's higher prices seem to be geared to the larger companies and to be honest for what they are offering it also seems to be a very good deal.

In my humble opinion from a consumers / end users point of view, I think GreenMe.ie are streets ahead of the Green Pages. Their content is lively and almost irreverant. It's what the Green Industry needs - a bit of humour rather than all the boring academic / technical jargon that would even send a harem of engineers to sleep!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Evolution Green

Hi Mikom,

I had a look at Greenme.ie's rate card and compared it with the Green Pages, it actually looks pretty reasonable but that is not the issue. The real reason I like the site is that it is offering the Irish consumer wanting to contribute to a greener lifestyle, a much needed entertaining, informative and quirky viewpoint.

For years the green issue was always seen to have a following of die hards and tree huggers but now with climate change and the oil crisis it has become more and more obvious that we all have to do our bit, in saying that the last thing I want to be is bombarded with academia so I am definitely giving Greenme.ie a thumbs up on their approach to sustainable living, and if they want to charge people for advertising well you cant blame them every business needs to generate revenue in order to survive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement