Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you like the most about U.L??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

In my experience, UL students are a lot more open and friendly than other places...I think it's because UL attracts a lot of students from rural backgrounds so a lot of people come here not knowing anyone and therefore everyone's in the same boat and willing to talk to anyone. Also, because the campus is all in one location it makes for a better overall concentrated college experience. This combines with the fact that students all live in close proximity to the campus. There are about 10,000 students at UL which means while it's big enough to allow for diversity it's not so big that you don't just get lost in the crowd: you begin to recognise faces and be recognised yourself in the college bars, library, etc...just allows for a more personal experience. I wouldn't have picked anywhere else.

There are faults, of course, like anywhere, but you asked for the positives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

sounds pretty cool. im doing the leaving at the moment and hopefully i should be experiencing this for myself next year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Best campus in the country IMO. None of this multiple sites crap you have in other colleges...the student villages are class too, especially Dromroe, Thomond and Cappavilla. Lots of places to eat, Stables for drinking, the arena gym....lots of good stuff.

Lots of negatives too though (ie: university constantly trying to sqeeze money out of students from every oraphis imagineable) but overall, I'd come here again if i had the choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

ye hopefully cappavilla will be my 2nd home next year! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Cappavilla is good alright, Dromroe is probably better though, seeing as you don't have that long walk over the bridge, which can be cold in the mornings!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

99% of the people are lovely and dead on. That's why I like it. It just feels so welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Clubs and Socs!!!

www.clubsandsocs.ul.ie

We're the best thing about UL (and not just because I'm on the exec, though that does help:D:D:D)

Seriously though, join a few clubs and socs....it's the best craic ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

The atmosphere on campus is great, and you meet so many cool people. The on-campus facilities (in general) are top class aswell. Writing this now is making me hope I'm back for 3rd year :cool: (Come on June 23rd!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

The fact that most students live at most 15/20 minutes from college. Better from a college point of view and from a social point. One of my first nights we literally just walked around College Court and thats how I met some of the people I count as my closest friends to date.

When I was a 1st year (I'm 3rd year now, going on 4th, sigh!) Plassey and Kilmurray were the places to be, not from a comfort or location perspective, but from a social perspective. Biggest regret of my UL career is not going to Plassey for 1st year, seems like one big party not to mention the people who met there are still friends today.

UL library is a nice one too, compared to other universities. Needs more seats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

louis626 wrote: »
    What is the best thing about going to college in U.L?? :confused:
    Going to college is the best thing about going to college in UL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kilmurry. Its fecking nuts. Every firstie should stay there (or Plassey). God what I wouldn't give to rewind 6 or 7 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh I kinda regret not staying in classy or Kilmurry for 1st year...Thomond was good craic in 1st year though.

Best thing about UL..well its not particular to UL but living away from home is just the dogs bollocks.

About UL...the campus, the setting and all the money thats floating around there. Some of the clubs & socs students are incredibly lucky to have access to. ULWC in particular, they must be the best equipped windsurfing club in the whole country.

How easy it is down there. Several meanings contained in that sentence.

Damn you all.. you're making me want to go to UL even more so..

ahh decisions decisions.. It's between UL and NUIG.. :confused:

I soooooo want to go here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Oh not forgetting..U.L lads are sooo hot! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Damn you all.. you're making me want to go to UL even more so..

ahh decisions decisions.. It's between UL and NUIG.. :confused:

I soooooo want to go here.

Forget NUIG. UL ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if ul has the course u want go there first on top of all other colleges

guaranteed on campus for first (i recomend kilmurry ill be back there in september and i hav a feeling dave is going to play a sick joke by putting us all back into the same house......*shudder*)

great facilitites

AMAZING clubs with awesome gear you can get in to anything like here from kayaking to scuba diving to skydiving to djing and u dont need ANY of your own gear

most of the students are living away from home so its a major party atmosphere(particularly tuesday and thursday nights)

the ul arena probably has the best sporting facilities in the country and you might be lucky/unlucky enough to get to shower with the paul oconnel.

and finally the people are class i only met one person i didnt get along with last year out of the probably hundreds of new people i met and he probably wont be back next year :P

just go to ul its not a difficult decision really

edit excuse the spelling im not stupid just lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

The thing I liked most about UL is that everyone is there to have the craic aswell as study. For the first month or two all you'll be doing is drinking in The Stables and partying with your course mates. If you've joined any club/soc (which you should do), then you'll have a few nights out with them aswell. Its really easy to meet new people and everyone is sound and willing to talk to eachother.

Aside from that. The campus is great and its spread out really nicely. Almost all of the student accomodation is minutes from the campus and alot of the housing estates are really close (college court being the best of them ;)). Almost all of the lecturers are sound and if you have any issues with course work or just questions they are very approachable and willing to help. And if you go to UL you'll have the Bulbs to look forward to.

Tip: Get to know the bar staff in The Stables so that they'll serve you quickly even if there's a queue.

*Bulbs = Boards UL beers in case you don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

The Don wrote: »
    And if you go to UL you'll have the Bulbs to look forward to.

Tip: Get to know the bar staff in The Stables so that they'll serve you quickly even if there's a queue.

*Bulbs = Boards UL beers in case you don't know.

Ooh I'm new to Boards but that Bulbs idea sounds class, is there a forum giving dates and stuff, that I can check in September? I'm out on co-op, loving it but in serious Lodge/Stables withdrawal...!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

When people think of having one, there'll be a thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

dee8839 wrote: »
    Ooh I'm new to Boards but that Bulbs idea sounds class, is there a forum giving dates and stuff, that I can check in September? I'm out on co-op, loving it but in serious Lodge/Stables withdrawal...!:(
    klong wrote: »
    When people think of having one, there'll be a thread...

What he said. There should be a few on during the year. Usually at the start of the semester, christmas and April. Us alumni might even make a few.

edit: there's plenty of beers happening in Dublin aswell if thats where your on co-op.

• Advertisement
Advertisement